MP3 - Which one - HEEELLLP!!!!

S

siy

I just cannot decide....Ipod 40gb or Ipod phot 40gb.....was gonna go for the photo, and now I have seen the iriver H320

I would probably use the radio quite a bit...Is the iriver ok quality wise? Is there any other models I should consider? I really need something that is easy to use with regards getting cd's onto the pc/downloading as my pc skills are terrible!

Oh...so many choices!!! Every time I make my mind up, something else comes along!

Can someone just tell me what to buy!

Bear in mind - the iPod battery life is appalling - unless you can get to an electrical source every 3-4hours the iPod is less of a portable MP3 player and more of an auxillary unit attached to your HiFi (assuming it is plugged into the wall or the battery would be flat!) - How about the Sony NW-HD1 (or HD3?) - Fantastic battery life but without all the kitschness off the iPod

aljanomac said:
Bear in mind - the iPod battery life is appalling - unless you can get to an electrical source every 3-4hours the iPod is less of a portable MP3 player and more of an auxillary unit attached to your HiFi (assuming it is plugged into the wall or the battery would be flat!)
Oh I wouldn't believe in everything you read in some of the tabloids. I have a third generation iPod and get over 8 hours from it between charges. Fourth generation (the current model) battery life is around 12 hours, and I've even seen users quoting 15 hours for the iPod photo. The battery 'issue' for iPods is just rumour, and never was based on fact.

mick's cat said:
Oh I wouldn't believe in everything you read in some of the tabloids. I have a third generation iPod and get over 8 hours from it between charges. Fourth generation (the current model) battery life is around 12 hours, and I've even seen users quoting 15 hours for the iPod photo. The battery 'issue' for iPods is just rumour, and never was based on fact.

I have 4 friends with 3 and 4 G units, and they rarely get more than about 8 hours out of them in one go. Experience is as good as fact for me!

But the quoted battery life is 8 hours, so it's pretty much bang on.

The usage affects the battery life - keep skipping tracks and and the HDD spins up and uses more power, same applies to high bitrate/lossless files. EQ settings can also knock about 10-15% off the battery life.

Turn off the EQ and use playlists to make the best use of the caching and you'll get 8 hours. The worse I've had is 5.5hrs on my 3G 20Gb, and that was using high bitrate files over an iTrip.

I have an H320, it's a very flexible peice of kit but it depends on what you're looking for, as for features it will..

1) Play music
2) Has a built in FM tuner so you can listen to the radio
3) Lets you record form the radio to the hard drive
4) Has a built in mic to let you voice record like a dictaphone
5) Can encode on the fly so you can rip tracks without a computer interface
6) Can store and display colour image files
7) Can store and diplay text files
8) Can download images from a set range of digital cameras without a computer to let you purge memory cards
9) Is recognised by all windows from ME on as an external drive without the need for a software download.
10) can store any type of data file like an external hard drive
11) Can play Div-x movies
12) Has a 16 hour battery

I've never seen anything that comes close to that feature list. A few things i feel i should point out though are that the video playback is only 10fps but considering it wasn't even a launch feature it may well be improved in the future. My battery is only giving me 9 hours but i'm playing a high bitrate and apparently the firmware i'm using (1.25) causes a battery drain, it's now been replaced by 1.27 which adresses this problem.

Also it isn't supposed to work on Win 98, onlt Win 98SE onwards but i have 98 and it actually works fine.

Navigation buttons are a bit small but not unuseably so.

It's basically not as cute looking as an i-pod or quite as user friendly but has a massively better feature list and a good range of accessories.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom