1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 vs. MD for digital recording on the road

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by kuuan, Apr 4, 2005.

1. kuuan

kuuan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for a lightweight digital recording device for max. 300 to 400 US$ which should be recording in stereo.
    I'd prefer an MP3 player/recorder to an MD player/recorder, but how do they compare sound quality wise, and do they record in stereo also?
    Thank you for any opionion/advice

2. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    What are you recording from? Generally speaking a Minidisc seems to be the better choice for recording dialogue, but it really depends on your source. Recently, when working on a movie - our team had a mic connected to a pre-amp, then that was connected to the line in of the MD player -the results were fantastic.

Not sure how many MP3 players will offer as good line in facilities....

3. kuuan

kuuan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    further questions:
    Is there any MP3 recorder out to which an external stereo mic can be connected? ( I have not found any yet...)
    If the MP3 recorder does not have any connection for an external mic, would it be possible to connect an external mic at the 'line in'? If so, do I need to have a preamp in between, just as you had done with your MD recorder?
    Or do I need MD recorder to record digital stereo?
    What I want to do is to record music/ambience sound digitally to be used to edit with my digital videos I am shooting with a camera I bought recently. I would prefer an MP3 device to an MD because I'd prefer if it also could hold other data, if it had a telefon book which is compatible with the outlooks address book it would be best.

4. woosing

woosing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0