1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 to ATRAC problems

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by DrillSgt, Jun 30, 2005.

1. DrillSgt

DrillSgt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'm missing a trick here.....

I have a large collection of MP3s on my PC, which I've now got listed in SS3.1.

The majority of the MP3s are 192kbps.

When I try to transfer them to the HD5, SS3.1 will only convert them to ATARAC if I set the bit-rate to 105KBPS or less. If I set it any higher, the files are just sent over as 192kbps MP3.

Am I missing something?

This IS my forst DAP, so forgive me if I'm being stupid.

2. JB5

JB5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I don't have much experience with MP3 files myself, but I seem to remember reading elsewhere on this site that it is only possible to re-encode MP3 as an ATRAC of equal or lower bitrate. i.e.cannot go from 124 MP3 to 256 ATRAC.

3. DrillSgt

DrillSgt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That certainly sounds feasible, but if that is the case then MP3 192 to ATRAC 135 should work?

My shell-shocked ears probably can't tell the difference, but it pains me to think I may be missing out.

4. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why would you want to covert mp3 to a higher bitrate atrac? you cant get an output of better quality than the source, no matter what. it would just eat up space for no reason, best going for an atrac br about half of the mp3 br.

5. DrillSgt

DrillSgt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I agree, but if I have a 192kbps MP3, my choices are either 105kbps ATRAC, 132kbps ATRAC or 256kbps ATRAC.

It seems a shame to have to down sample all my MP3s to 105 in order to transfer them.

If you're saying that I won't notice any diffrence between 105 ATRAC and 192 MP3 then the whole thing is irrelevent, but it sounds a little odd.