1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mp3 to atrac conversion

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by rowlers, Sep 22, 2005.

1. rowlers

rowlers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone tell me the easiest way of converting my mp3s to atrac???

Ideally I'd like to select all the tracks I want to convert set it going and leave it it till its done.

Then I want to transfer the racks as and when needed.

Cheers

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Import all your MP3s into SonicStage's My Library. Highlight all those you want to convert. Right click the highlighted selection and choose 'Convert format'. Follow on-screen instructions from there ...

3. rowlers

rowlers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "convert format" doesn't exist???

any ideas? Using SS version 3.1

Tried using the sony mp3 conversion tool but it is **** poor, it looses all your album structure, all files end up in one folder???

Is it worth converting to atrac for extended battery life or is there not much in it???

Cheers

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How odd? Does in my copy of 3.2, and did in 3.1, too.

Anyone???

5. DantheMan

DantheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure, but can I say why are you converting your mp3s to atrac?

Converting from one lossy format to another is audio suicide ;) . I'd just stick with mp3s unless you have an older sony player that doesn't support mp3s...if so ignore this.

You could always go down the fun route of re-ripping your cds, I've had to do this a few times and its great fun ;). At least you'd get decent files on your player than crappy mp3>atrac files.

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that transcoding is supposed to be the big taboo in digital audio, but I've enjoyed great success with it. Ripped all my CDs using EAC in 'paranoid' mode. Encoded using the highest quality LAME settings. Transcoded into ATRAC ... my stuff still sounds brilliant, even played out over hifi speakers. Now, admittedly, my home set-up is basic to say the least; but even on my HD5 these transcoded files are indistinguishable (to my ears) to the original MP3s - and in some cases, CDs!

7. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Reason I convert to Atrac when transfering to my HD3 is that using MP3 over Atrac on my HD3 reduces the battery playback time by about Four Hours!