1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mp3 to Amp

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by GazzerG, Oct 14, 2002.

1. GazzerG

GazzerG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can any one help?
    I have a fairly decent Kenwood amp and sony cd player. I am after an mp3 player that will connect to my amp and is a seperate or smaller. It must connect by at least composite connections but prefreably digital out. Is there any types on the market that i can do this with?
    The only way I can think of doing it is by using a DVD player that plays mp3's.
    Cheers

2. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm probably missing the point here, but any portable MP3 player such as an iPod has a stereo jack. Take a cable with L/R plugs on one end and a stereo jack at the other and connect it to any stereo input on your amp. That's how I connect mine.

3. GazzerG

GazzerG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I should of been more specific.
    I have turned my garage into a bar, and I am after an mp3 player that plays mp3's off a cd. I want to put quite a large collection of music on a few cd's then I can just leave them playing all night, maybe changing the cd on a couple of occasions. I don't really want somthing too small incase it gets damaged whilst everyone is falling around the bar. I have built up a collection of 80's music that will just fit on a cd in mp3 format, the same for 60's and 70's music. I have in the region of 300+ cd's that I would like to convert to mp3. So the ideal player would be maybe a 3-5 disc changer that plays cd loaded mp3's. (You will be supprised how many cd's get damaged during the course of a party).
    BTW
    What is the quality like from the stereo jack plug through your amp?

Cheers

4. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Quality is good enough, considering an mp3 sounds not as good as a real CD.

I'd probably go for an el-cheapo DVD player (Cyberhome etc.) and other brands like that, they usually have mp3 playback, and since sound quality is not an issue (well, not a big one I think) it should do fine. You can get players like that for around 75 quid these days.

If you do take that road, make sure you buy one that can play the mp3s directly by pushing PLAY, some players need you to go through a bunch of menus on the TV to start playing.

5. GazzerG

GazzerG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input.
    Creative do a 6GB, 10GB and 15GB DAP jukebox which will hold quite a bit off music, so I may try that out rather than the DVD route. Thanks for the reply

6. fastedd

fastedd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get the Archos studio 20 - which is a 20Gbyte portable player for around £220 delivered, better value than the DAP I think. Only downside is its USB1.1 but for another £50 you can get the Recorder 20 that also has USB 2.0 for quicker transfer if thats important and it will also convert to MP3 directly.

7. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you want something stylish, get an Apple iPod. Excellent value for money (yes, it costs more than the competition, but you get what you pay for, like better sound, longer battery life, and great looks), a real quality piece of engineering. And they also sell Windoze based version nowadays.