• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

MP3 Storage device

Biojem

Novice Member
Hello. I'm looking for an MP3 storage device that is hard-wired to my stereo on which I can store 130gb of music and control wirelessly from my phone and laptop. At the moment I have my ipod plugged in but I can't control that remotely and I want to carry it around all the time. Many thanks Jeremy

Kev Greenhalgh

Hello. I'm looking for an MP3 storage device that is hard-wired to my stereo on which I can store 130gb of music and control wirelessly from my phone and laptop. At the moment I have my ipod plugged in but I can't control that remotely and I want to carry it around all the time. Many thanks Jeremy

Hi,
Have you considered going the NAS (Network Attached Storage device) route?

Biojem

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply. I've never heard of this before but a quick search shows like its a external hard drive you can link to wirelessly. I would still need something between the storage device and the stereo to actually play the music?

Kev Greenhalgh

Thanks for the reply. I've never heard of this before but a quick search shows like its a external hard drive you can link to wirelessly. I would still need something between the storage device and the stereo to actually play the music?

Yes that's it. :)

Now what make/model is your stereo?

Kev

Kev Greenhalgh

I just have a bose wave II unit and I connect it with a simple 3.5 jack

Well that's got me scratchin' me head. :(

I'll have a look now to see if there's any NAS enclosures that have a 3.5mm out, ie headphone jack. :)

Kev Greenhalgh

Have a look through this link, there's lots to choose from. :)

Ignore this, there's nothing here.

Last edited:

Kev Greenhalgh

Well I'm completely stumped. I couldn't find anything to suit your needs, I'm really sorry.:(

I'll keep lookin' though. :thumbsup:

mfactor1

What about chromecast audio, you dont store on it but you can stream to it...........

For instance I use the normal chromecast with my tv thence to my hifi (but would work the same with the new audio chromecast) you can then either stream from either laptop, mobile or tablet ......... but you do not have to have the music on your device .........

i uploaded all my music to google play and can stream that from any of my devices , you can also "cast" all your music stored on your lappy etc...

I either use google play , youtube or spotify ..........

Speakers - Chromecast - Google

Doh ,,,,just thought of a easier way get an iPod dock with remote function and a cheap S/H ipod , I have one plugged into my bedroom stereo ......... works a treat........

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unbranded-I...351375&sr=8-81&keywords=ipod+dock+with+remote

PS. got the ipod cheap off ebay as it would not hold a charge, but its fine as plugged in all the time.....

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom