1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 recorder

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Torque, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Torque

Torque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a good quality portable solid state recorder to record vocals - I sing with a few choirs and folk groups. I'd like to be able to get the best possible recording quality for my budget, but we're not pros and it's just for fun, so I don't need studio quality. An open file format is important so I can transfer recordings to my computer and to CDROM.

I see a batch of MP3 recorders at around £70-£100, of which my favourite so far is the RipFlash PLUS. Then there's the clearly grander £200-£300 range, with the Edirol R1 and Marantz PMD660 looking especially interesting.

Can anyone give me an opinion on these models, or suggest any others I should look at? Is it worth forking out for one of the expensive ones, or should I buy a cheaper one and spend the difference on a good quality mic? Are there any other issues I ought to be thinking about? I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.

2. woosing

woosing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My wife uses a sharp minidisc with a Sony mic. for opera and jazz with piano....the worst senario for recording! but....

The mic is fantastic. We got ours from hotkit.co.uk (their site is offline at the mo.) Well worth the money, about £50

SONY ECM-DS70P or perhaps the ECM-719

check out the Sony UK site under accessories

I'd be interested to know your final MP3 solution as we may move to this in the future. Hope this helps.

3. Torque

Torque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip - I've been thinking I should get an external mic.

In the end I bought the Edirol R1 (see spec at http://www.edirol.com/products/info/r1.html). I got a new one off ebay for around £230. The sound quality is great, and the onboard stereo mic is impressive. It's best for formal recording situations though, because it eats batteries, so you really need to plug it in if you want to record for any length of time. It's also a little bigger than it looks in the picture (the chap must have big hands), so it fits nicely into a shoulder bag but not a pocket. It's light though, easy to use, with lots of flexibility in mp3 compression, and you can get wav files too. So all in all I'm quite happy with it.