1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 Players with Removable Batteries

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by pulser, Sep 15, 2005.

1. pulser

pulser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I hope someone can help me as I'm currently having a hard time choosing which MP3 player that features a removable battery to purchase.

I've already had the Creative Zen Micro 5GB which screwed up and can't think of any other players that feature a removable battery. I don't want a built in battery as I don't want to spend money on a player only to end up having to replace it a year or so down the line. I want it to last me at least 2 or 3 years. I'll be listening to it roughly 2-3 hours a day.

Can anyone recommend some decent players that suit my needs as I don't really know many.

Also, how long will the iPod 4G last me if I listen to it 2-3 hours a day?

Thanks

2. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Any player with a built in battery will easily last you 2 or 3 years!, especially if you only use it for 2 - 3 hours a day. A typical battery is designed to last for around 500 charge cycles (that's 500 cycles NOT 500 charges) so you will hardly get through all them in a year!.

3. malheuresement

malheuresement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony HD5/HD5H has a removable/replacable battery.
    The new Sony model out later in the year, apparently, does not.

mal.

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    He's right. Unless you deep discharge your player every time, even players with built-in batteries will last for a good 2-3 years. The 3G iPod had a problem by which it was too easy to deep discharge, so resulted in a shortened battery life. These days, it's less likely. The iPod Mini for example has a conservatively stated 20 hour battery life. iRiver and Creative are slightly vague about battery life and their respective fanboys (especially the iRiver guys) don't make a point of mentioning it often, but I found the life of the iRiver H10 to be to a similar extent to the 3G iPod, if not even worse.

So you've got that to think about, but the bigger question is will the batteries be available in 2-3 years? Creative's JB3 batteries are already practically discontinued and the player was only released 3 years ago. That's what you have to consider. Sony are slightly better in this respect. Creative have never been too dilligent in this respect to date. It remains to be seen how iRiver behaves. With an established company like Apple, it is more likely that they will have and manufacture replacement batteries for a sensible period after each player is discontinued.

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I concur with what Closterpeteuk and extremelydodgy say: firstly, no built-in battery will die within 2-3 years with such minimal usage as you have planned; second, that only big names like Sony and Apple have proved good at providing spares for a significant time after initial product releases.

All this said, a Creative Zen Touch (both 20GB & 40GB now available quite cheaply) has a built-in battery that really does last 24hrs - or more - when using the average MP3 files at 128kbps. These players are built like brick ****houses (I dropped one from a first floor window onto concrete, and while it dented, it carried on working!), and my old 20GB is still going very strongly after 18 months - and I used it for around 8 hours almost every day. Well worth considering on the built-in battery front, particularly as it lives up to its claims, in my experience ...

6. sazza42

sazza42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do worry that people think that a product that only has a life of 2 years & can cost up to a couple of hundred quid is acceptable!! Has the world gone mad?

7. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    It's not the product that has that lifespan just the battery, which you can get replaced for an extortionate price.

8. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63

All I can say that the only player I have recently owned for more than one year with replaceable batteries (The aforesaid Creative JB3) no longer has batteries available for it.

On the other hand, I can still get Apple to replace a 1G/2G iPod battery, as well as obtain a whole bunch of third party batteries.