Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

MP3 players suitable for Excercise/Gym/Sport

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by tomdarth5, Jul 26, 2005.

1. tomdarth5

tomdarth5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya:
    first post this but basically i've just sold my sony mzn10 mini disk and have decided to get a hard disk based mp3 player (****** off having to lug about disks as well) :) .

I've narrowed it down to 1 of 3 choices
    1 sony nw hd3 -about £200
    2 sony nw hd5 -about £250
    3 creative zen micro -about £140

Any comments, suggestions, or recommendations from owners of either of these 3 machines would be most welcome !

(not interested in ipod - dont have usb2 and sorry guys but think they're overrated anyway!)

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,493
    I'm pretty sure that the majority of people on here would heartily recommend the HD5 - even with the problem of cracking buttons they same a happy bunch :)
    PS Welcome to the forums :hiya:

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I'll go with John on that: HD5 (or HD5H, if you want an extra 10GB - good deal at Amazon UK).

I was a committed Creative fan till 3 weeks ago. Switched to Sony and discovered ATRAC3Plus, with what must be its biggest benefit: GAPLESS PLAYBACK! But I'm preaching to the converted, I'm sure ...

Spent past 3 weeks putting HD5H through its paces, made quite a few mistakes along the way, learned from them, and can now heartily recommend it :smashin:

4. RB05

RB05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a Creative Zen Touch 20GB for about 150 or less - Play.com, Komplett

5. RB05

RB05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is gapless playback??

6. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    You can now pick up an NW-HD5H (30GB drive) and no reports of cracking buttons (as yet) for £189.99 delivered.

As for the question on gapless playback this is exactly what it implies. If you have a CD e.g. a Dance music mix CD which is designed to play so that one track runs into another then ATRAC allows the advantage of having absolutely no gaps between the tracks.

Many other digital formats do not allow for this.

7. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I guess it depends on what you want. And for some odd reason, the board seems to be innundated with Sony maniacs and I doubt for the most part you'll get anything but "buy the Sony".

The Zen Micro does more, in terms of how you access music and also in terms of the other features like the voice recording and radio, and spare batteries are easy to order. I guess you have to ask yourself if you want the extra features or the battery life/storage size of the HD3/5.

The Rio Karma is also worth a look if you're on a budget. Nearly twice the thickness of the HD5 but more compact in height. A worthy competitor to the iPod and a much, much better player than the HD5 bar size and battery life. Gapless playback in all the codecs it supports, a 5-band parametric EQ that works for all the codecs once again, and a headphone amp that blows the HD5 out of the water for power and quality. The included companion application is slightly buggier than Sonicstage but smoother to use. The only major downer is that like the 'big' Creatives, Universal Mass Storage is not offered. Expect to pay £160 absolute tops for a package including the cradle.

8. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sony HD3 available from Argos for £149 plus you get a 10 pound Argos voucher for spending over £100.
    Think the voucher offer ends on the 29th of July though so hurry if this deal interests you.

Drphibes

9. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The HD5 is around £200, and you can get the HD3 from Argos for £150.

10. tomdarth5

tomdarth5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin:
    got the nw hd5 today and extremely pleased with it superb build quality and sound quality (have used the volume unlocker thingy - although it was still excellent out of the box not just quite loud enough though :rolleyes: )

I noticed i have an earlier version of the firmware to whats posted on the sony site - is it worth upgrading the firmware? Is it hard to do?

I have also noticed some people have had problems getting mp3s on to this machine - i have had no such problem so far(touch wood)

I chose to leave files as they are ie 128kbps and 192kbps mp3s will get transferred same bitrate and file size - is this the best way to do this(for sound quality)?

I also chose to import cds at 132kbps atrac3 what about this?(or is atrac 3 plus better)?

Dont mean to sound like idiot but just want best possible results as bit of a perfectionist :D

anyway thanks to everyone in advance for helping me choose this player - well worth it
    :thumbsup:

11. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) Definitely worth doing - just be sure to read the download and install directions carefully.

2) Not that tricky, no.

3) Entirely down to personal preference/needs.

4) I'd say ATRAC3Plus is better than plain old ATRAC3.

Could I please beg a favour (my personal bugbear coming up now)? Could you please see my thread 'HD5/HD5H - Repeat even with Repeat OFF' and do the test I suggest there? Would be interested to see if your player has the same 'glitch'(?) as mine and someone else's.

Many thanks!

12. haroldpark

haroldpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. When you transcode (eg change from 128kbsmp3 to 192 kbs mp3 or vice versa) you will lose sound quality. If this matters to you then you should never transcode one lossy music file to another lossy file.

13. tomdarth5

tomdarth5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just tried that test which you suggested to try .Seems to be fine.

I had rots soundtrack and then talking heads and it went from final track of soundtrack to first of stop making sense.

Repeat was off and playback was normal although i did skip it through some tracks on the soundtrack before letting unit power off .

Do you mean to let entire album play start to finish or does this not really affect the result?
    Thanks

:)

14. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +512
    Pardon my dumb questions. I've never owned or had any interest in MP3 players, but my daughter wants one, and PC Pro recommend the Rio Carbon.
    Does that apply to the Rio Carbon? How can the Karma do gapless playback using MP3 or WMA while others can't? Is it just the software they use?

15. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Rio Karma - now, sadly, no longer in production - was a real audio lover's dream. It supported lots of different formats; and they managed to do some with it that meant it could play any of these (I think) without gaps between tracks. Only Sony players can do this now using their own ATRAC3Plus format (again, as far as I know).

The Rio Carbon is a fine model: 5gb of storage, and there's a newer version out with a 'pearl' finish to it. Very nice! Only drawback: if you use headphones where the base of the 3.5mm jack is metal rather than plastic, this will press against the Carbon's aluminium casing and cause some annoying static. It can be solved by choosing a different type of headphone, or by sticking a piece of sellotape over the headphone socket before sticking the 3.5mm jack through this and into the hole - thus keeping the two metal surfaces apart.

16. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I need to get an MP3 player for the wife... i-pod's have crap battery life don't they... I read reviews on the 4gb models on www.dabs.com

She wants it for the gym... running etc. Will the MP3 player & hard disk be ok with the excessive movement??
    Alternative is to get a memory stick one, like ipod shuffle... but very limited features!

Read T3 magazine... so much choice!!!

17. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about the Rio Forge Sport? Rubberised casing in case she drops it, flash memory so no moving internal parts, and expandable memory using SD/MMC cards - she could go from 256MB to 1GB easily. You're looking at a 20-hr battery life, plus an FM radio tuner. Not bad for under £100.

18. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,493
    Yes, I would look at a solid state based player for anyone using it for exercise and especially jogging. I think all hard disc based players will skip under these conditions at some point.

19. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    http://www.retailonline.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=131
    £105 FOR 512MB.
    how do u get 1gb? Best to buy a lower memory model and then expand on the memory or not? Where do u get the extra memory?
    Any real life pics of this model?? actual size

20. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
  21. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This one is very good, from what I hear. The controls take a bit of getting used to, but once she's familiar with them she'll be well away! It's much tinier than the Rio Forge Sport, though not with a rubberised casing. Think it comes with a lanyard, though, so she can hang it round her neck. And of course, there's also the FM tuner!

22. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The extra memory is through expansion cards. I'm sure if you Google SD or MMC you'll find somewhere that doesn't charge a fortune for them!

23. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Sony NWE507

Only downside I can see from reading the Dabs.com reviews is:
    1. Not a true MP3 player, need to convert tracks into ATRAC3
    (whats the deal with this? Opinions?)

2. Only charges via the pc... no a/c charger.

Apart from that it looks great.

So contenders are Rio Forge & Sony NWE507 so far...

24. malheuresement

malheuresement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the e407 (1GB) player, which is basically the same as the 500 series without the FM tuner.

As far as I am aware [although all of my music is Atrac3+] these machines natively play mp3, no conversion required, but you do need to use sonic stage to transfer tracks.

I can certainly recommend these players -- has got me through numerous tournaments and gym sessions. I quite like the file navigation method - similar to the HD3 system.

The USB charging thing is a bit of a bind if you are away from a PC for a while, but I have tried using my PDA USB power lead - seems to work, but I don't know what effect this may have on the unit long term!!!!! On the upside, these units do have a quick-charge mode, which provides 3 hrs playback on a 3 minute charge!

25. malheuresement

malheuresement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found this question in the HD5 cracks thread. Thought I'd redirect it here as there is already a bit of NWE50x/40x talk here.

You could have a look at this item. Actually saw this in todays Sunday Times travel section -- seems to be what you are looking for. I have a similar/more basic 'plug' that I bought for my PDA, which should do the job, but so far I have only tried my Palm battery-backup charger really quickly and got a 'charging' display, then I disconnected it. I'd check the charging rates and see if they compare with the 600 mAh [I think] that the e407 requires.

26. verflucht

verflucht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the heads-up. It has been ordered and Let's hope that it will work. But, erm, I'm embarrassed that I dopn't understand this, but according to the blurb on the charger, it reckons it will emit the same voltage as a real USB port. You seem to think that, erm, actually I don't even understand what you mean by 600 mAh. Just talk to me as if I am a simple gadget geek who doesn't understand about voltage overload. Am I going to cause irrepairable damage to my gadget with this plug?

27. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Let me know when you find out!

Also... found this post

28. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +738
    As has been mentioned in 1 post above, MP3 players that use tiny hard disk drives are probably not best suited to any strenuous activity such as running that will involve shock being transmitted to the unit.

You have to remember that these use a disk drive that has a recording head floating thousandths of a inch above the media surface, which is constantly spinning. Any bumps, bangs or shocks can cause them to jump (although I notice more of them nowadays are being advertised with some sort of 'anti-shock' suspension).

A solid-state player that employs memory cards (you can now get 1GB SD card for £45) is the safe option.

29. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
  30. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    No... the wife has decided she doesn't want to combine the phone with MP3, as phones are not allowed in the gym!

So... either of:
    1. Sony NWE507
    2. Cowan iAudio U2 1GB. Available in UK?
    3. ipod Shuffle (Not to my taste... but wife is still open to the random songs only)

:rolleyes: