MP3 Player

Spliffy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, sorry for starting another thread on this subject, but I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread.

I'm looking for a 16 gb mp3 player. Main requirements: cheaper the better, good quality audio, relatively hassle free bundled software, solid battery life and light/easy to carry.

These seem to be the main four:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128133&pf_rd_i=468294

Although any alternatives are very much welcomed! I don't really understand how the x-fi and nano are worth the extra money (I'm not an expert on this subject admittedly) and between the sony and the zen, it seems like the sony is slightly better value. Unfortunately, my last 2 mp3 players have been sony and have been pretty ***** - and I've earned the reputation of being a sony fanboy because of it! So any views on the above four or alternatives to them would be welcomed. Someone also recommended an iRiver U15 (or something like that), but I can only find an 8gb version and it seems a bit hit and miss from some of the reviews.

The other thing is that if there's a new 'essential' model coming out soon in a similar price range, then I could hold off for a while, but the likelihood of that seems a bit low. Cheers for your help.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
For what it's worth, I'm very happy with the Creative X-Fi (32GB version). I haven't used many of the 'extra' (gimmicky) features like the Wi-Fi thing, but the sound is very pleasing for MP3's, and the SD card slot is handy for videos. FM Radio is pretty good too, where I am. I had the earlier Creative Zen (non X-Fi) before that too, and the X-Fi is definitely better.

Can't comment on t'others though. Your links don't seem to be working (for me), btw.

Also check out the Cowon range, for sound quailty and battery life they're hard to beat.

John Bentley, from the gadget show on CH5 said the D2 was the best MP3 player he had ever heard (at the time)

They accept SDHC cards which I believe now go 16Gb or more.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, hopefully the links are working now.

What made the x-fi better than the zen if you don't mind me asking? I wouldn't have thought there'd be much issue with the audio for Creative.

Also check out the Cowon range, for sound quailty and battery life they're hard to beat.

John Bentley, from the gadget show on CH5 said the D2 was the best MP3 player he had ever heard (at the time)

They accept SDHC cards which I believe now go 16Gb or more.
I had a look at the IAudio 7 range, as it's more in line with the others' price range, but it seems like the only charging option available is via USB, which doesn't sound practical when travelling. Is there a plug-in charger available anywhere for it, like for the others?

I had a look at the IAudio 7 range, as it's more in line with the others' price range, but it seems like the only charging option available is via USB, which doesn't sound practical when travelling. Is there a plug-in charger available anywhere for it, like for the others?

I believe you get a plug in charger with all the cowon range, i did with my d2.

I believe you get a plug in charger with all the cowon range, i did with my d2.
Just looked it all up. Seems with this player, you only get a USB charger. There is this available, but it's quite expensive, although if the USB fits, then I guess this would be a viable alternative. I've got to admit, if I don't have to fork out £18 for a wall charger, then I'm really tempted by the Cowon. £20 extra for that much more battery and audio quality seems like a good deal. The extra £18 for the charger would put me off though.

Just looked it all up. Seems with this player, you only get a USB charger. There is this available, but it's quite expensive, although if the USB fits, then I guess this would be a viable alternative. I've got to admit, if I don't have to fork out £18 for a wall charger, then I'm really tempted by the Cowon. £20 extra for that much more battery and audio quality seems like a good deal. The extra £18 for the charger would put me off though.

If it is the case that it's USB only then ANY USB type phone charger would do the job as USB is a standard and has a standard voltage output. I saw one in Tesco a while back for less than £10.

If it is the case that it's USB only then ANY USB type phone charger would do the job as USB is a standard and has a standard voltage output. I saw one in Tesco a while back for less than £10.
I'm almost sold on it. What's the bundled software like with it (easy to use, space hogger) or can I just do a drag and drop? And I take it it's pretty reliable?

Sorry about the questions, I'm always a little nervous when buying from a previously unheard of company. It ticks all the boxes though so pretty cool.

I'm almost sold on it. What's the bundled software like with it (easy to use, space hogger) or can I just do a drag and drop? And I take it it's pretty reliable?

Sorry about the questions, I'm always a little nervous when buying from a previously unheard of company. It ticks all the boxes though so pretty cool.

No need to use the Cowon software.

You have the choice of using MTP (syncing with WMP) or simple drag and drop and navigating the player with a folder system.

Sound on the player with no effects is great. BUT, if you like to tweak settings and EQ, I can't imagine many players doing it better.

iAudio/Cowon are one of the most respected manufacturers of MP3 players. They don't make TVs, Computers and PC sound cards tho' - so aren't quite the household name as Sony, Apple or Creative.

I would go with (and have gone with) the Sansa Fuze:

Sansa Fuze 8gb MP3 Player Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Awesome player, great UI, crystal clear sound at a powerful output. New firmware release has ogg & flac support!

It comes with 8Gb internal, plus a micro SDHC slot. 8Gb cards are dirt cheap, plus the 32Gb cards are coming out soon.... Ths player is about the same size as a 3rd gen iPod Nano.

FWIW, I stronghly advise against getting the new Nano. ****ius Maximus.

:)

I would say the difference between the xfi & zen would be the included wifi & xfi. if you need neither of these you should go for the zen but considering its only a few bucks to get the xfi it will be more worth to get the xfi. Personally, i have been listening to the xfi & i can say the sound is good with xfi especially for music & the in-canal earbuds it comes with. i would consider it a pretty decent bargain since it also comes with rather good quality earbuds

Another vote for the Sansa Fuze from me.

I have been using an Iriver IHP140 for a number of years, but decided I needed something a little smaller. I tried an IPOD, the wifes nano but hated the thing. I had been so used to just dropping music onto the Iriver being tied to an application just annoyed the hell out of me.

Did a little research and couldn't find a bad word about the Fuze player. Picked up a 2Gb version for £25 quid, dropped an 8Gb micro sd card in the slot and had a 10Gb player for less than £35.

I havent tried the earbuds that came with player, but the sound quality is on a par with the Iriver through some CX300's. Battery life is very good and it plays OGG which was something I needed. The interface is almost idiot proof and Sandisk apear to be working on firmware updates.

There is a liitle bit of work from rockbox as well, very happy with my new tiny little friend.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom