1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 Player Wanted

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Keithhampson, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Keithhampson

Keithhampson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi I want to buy an mp3 player, I want a decent one though but it does not need to be a massive memory, I would also like one where I can set my own treble and bass, I have seen loads on ebay that have a 7 preset graphic equalizer which my friend has that sounds rubbish, but I want one where I can set my own, can anyone recommend a unit to me.

Thanks Keith

2. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    iAudioX5(L)
    :smashin:
    :thumbsup:

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say take a look at Creative's products: solidly built, fully adjustable EQ, superb sound, reasonable battery life and a range of storage sizes to suit most budgets.

4. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    You'd say, but better not, Creative :thumbsdow

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why :thumbsdow , in your opinion?

6. Keithhampson

Keithhampson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I should of said, I dont have loads of money, I have about £100, And smaller the better, its mainly for going jogging with so the memory does not need to be big.

Keith

7. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Now is probably a bad time to buy a flash player in the UK. Apple's Nano has shaken up what people are willing to buy a little, and the other manufacturers haven't yet reacted with lowered prices / higher capacity.

But if you have to buy now, the iRiver T30 1Gb or the Creative Nano Plus 1Gb would be your best options at the moment. The T30 lacks a tuner BTW.

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=760
    http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=717

8. Keithhampson

Keithhampson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Does the iriver T30 1Gb or the Creative Nano Plus 1Gb have a graphic equalizer or treble and bass settings that can be changed?

Keith

9. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe all Creatives have basic equaliser functions as well as presets. Check out www.creative.com for full info.

10. Keithhampson

Keithhampson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just had a look at a few iriver mp3 players on the net, these seem good, do all the iriver mp3 players have manual settings for the equalizer?, I would like one with an fm tuner, sorry for all these questions but if you buy one and don't like it you can not just send them back because you don't like it.

Keith

11. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
  12. Keithhampson

Keithhampson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Don't really want to pay more than 100 quid, want at least 512mb memory and also would like fm turner, also would like one with an equalizer which I can adjust to my liking, but sound quality is important.

Keith

13. Agincourt

Agincourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you find all that for under £100, please let me know!

14. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going purely on the criteria in your most recent post to this thread (above) - minus your FM tuner requirement - my choices would be either the Sony NWE 105 (512MB), or the Sony NWE 107 (1GB).

15. Keithhampson

Keithhampson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As to the user saying I would not get a mp3 for less than 100 quid for the specification I want, well I have seen a fair few for that price but I don't know if they are any good or not, and yes at first I was not to bothered about fm radio but it would be nice to have the option if I every did really want it.

16. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Avoid the Sony's like the plague. Under-specced, s-l-o-w loading, doesn't load without running a program (no drag & drop).

As I said before, the Creative Nanos should be right up your street for your needs.

17. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All Sony's, or just the two I listed? I don't find my HD5H slow to load (no slower than my Creative Zen Touch, for example), nor do I consider it under-spec'ed 'cos it doesn't have smart playlists or whatever else the iPod gives you (though it'd be handy, certainly). And having to use a proprietary program isn't all that painful - even for me with my PC's woefully inadequate RAM!

18. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think he's referring to the fact that those Sony flash players are USB 1.1. I've read they're indeed slow. But considering they don't have big memories, I don't think the slow load times will really be an annoyance, and somebody already said you can install the MP3 file manager directly in the player, which eliminates the need to have SonicStage for transfers.

19. R0B75

R0B75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I don't know whether it will suit your needs but tomorrow I will be picking up a Rio Carbon 5gb player. They are on a Special offer at Dixons/Currys for £99.99. Gets very good reviews too.

Edit: 1st post so go easy!

20. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Let me see... one player transfers two short MP3 albums @ 160K in under a minute. The other transfers it in under 4 minutes. Which would you choose?

And why is that better than a better-specced player which is drag & drop, has an FM tuner and features significantly higher data transfer rates and costs just £10 more?

RoB- , I didn't realise the Carbons were available for under £100. DEFINITELY worth looking into. (Provided you get a full warranty)It doesn't have an FM tuner, but you're getting a 5Gb player which still compares very well with the iPod Mini.

21. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't say it was better, just commented on the fact that you may not need SonicStage to use it. As for the transfer speeds, I take as a reference the time I loaded a friend's Rio Nitrue via USB 1.1. It didn't feel very slow, not much slower than my Rio Karma via USB 2 and certainly not to the point of bothering me. But then again, I'm not recommending the Sony, just saying the problems you raised may not be that big.

22. Keithhampson

Keithhampson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I will take a look at these units, upload speed is not a problem, I dont rush infrom work and want a mp3 player that is full in two minutes, 10 minutes is fine, I do listen to the same albums over and over, I just fancy a change now and then, thats all I will proberly load it with 3 or 4 albums and not change it for a couple of weeks.

Keith

23. R0B75

R0B75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The shop you buy from will obviously give a 1 year manufacturers warranty, but then I heard that Rio have gone bust. Still, you would be entitled to a full refund if it died within a year. Probably why they are this cheap.

24. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    RoB-

How you getting on with the Carbon?

Does it permit you to feed sound from the headphone socket into a hi-fi?

Amazed they've gone bust when Carbon seems such good piece of kit?

Dave

25. R0B75

R0B75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm pretty happy with it all in all. Great sound, easy and simple interface. The display could be better but it's not a big deal.

I have not tried feeding it into a HiFi but im pretty sure it would work fine if I had the leads to do it.

Definately worth the money and 5GB is plenty of space. Like you say msg, it seems strange they have gone bust when they make quality products at competitive prices.