1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 Player to use on Car Stereo

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by scotty2005, Sep 4, 2005.

1. scotty2005

scotty2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of getting an MP3 player for use in my car..

Can anyone recommend a good player with decent storage that's compatible with a good FM transmitter/receiver so I can play it over the car radio?

As size doesn't matter as I'll be keeping it in the car was looking at maybe the 40GB iRiver PMP-140 PORTABLE MP3/VIDEO/FM PLAYER? or else one of the usual suspects - Zen/iPod/iRiver. Is the iRiver media player any good/good value for money???

Lastly, does anyone recommend buying it through eBay as the prices appear to be a lot lower than anywhere else?

Cheers...

2. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I use an iPod with an iTrip. The quailty is not too bad, but prone to interfernece, just like normal FM signals. I am sure that there are bargains on ebay, but beware excessive postage and you will almost certainly have to pay customs duty, despite what they say, which together negates most of the saving. Also if you have a problem who do you take it back to?

3. scotty2005

scotty2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    who works out the customs duty?? is it the seller? Does it normally amount to much?

Haven't bought any pricey products on E-Bay before

4. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If it is going to virtually live in the car and the main use is as a car music player, I would research another way of listening, other than FM transmitter. I use a cassette adapter in my own car and am about to get a cable for my wifes car that will allow my iriver H10 to plug in instead of a cd multichanger. In a Mondeo I rented recently I was delighted to find a socket in the glovebox that allowed the player to be used as an aux in.

Whilst the quality and interference are annoying with an FM transmitter it is convenient and easy to move from car to car. The biggest downside for me as a UK user is the need to switch off RDS and therefore missing out on traffic info. Using my cassette adapter gives better sound quality than a transmitter and allows the radio to butt in if there is traffic news, as does the aux in option. You can get cables for many cars.

Hope this is useful, NS

5. dq1967

dq1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which adaptor are you using, Neville? I've tried a couple and quality isn't that great.

6. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    For the most recent item I purchased the shipping company, UPS, contacted me and asked for a £20 payment on a £150 item. No payment no delivery! They collect for the UK government. I have also paid Royal Mail in the past. Some sellers put that it is a gift under a certain amount on the package to get around the duty, but there is always a chance that this does not work.

7. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm using an old Goodmans adapter and the sound is good. The cable was broken inside close to the plug and a colleague put a new plug onto it. Having said that I am interested in the comments in another thread about the quality achieved using the various Sony adapters. NS

8. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rather than using a transmitter why not chose a FM Modulator/Oscillator

such as this- http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=44128&doy=6m9

You connect the device to a lineout/ head phone out on your mp3 player and you plug a lead into the FM input of your car radio. (and don't worry, you don't lose your fm singals as they have a "Pass-through FM aerial connector"

Perfect for a sound q boost better than FM transmitters and likely better than tape. The best is having a "aux" in on your radio/CD but not many have that function.

As for MP3 players, i don't think you can go wrong. Get something you like

P.S- I made one from a soldering kit.

9. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get a Sony HD5 20gb and a Sony Cassette tape adapter. Quality is excellent and no need for a dock to get line out - very small space required.