Mp3 player to replace ipod

xand_xand

Established Member
Reaction score
So iPod nano finally given up on me time to move forward into hi Res MP3 player.

Needs to be sub £200.

I've looked at the Sony A45 A55 and they seem to tick the box with great reviews but the euro sound cap puts me off.
I've looked at ways to remove the cap but it seems a rather complex proceedure.

I've also looked at the cowon plenue D and this has trashy good reviews however it came out in 2015/16 so I'm thinking it might be lacking somewhat by today's technology.
There is a 2nd gen version but current pricing is just too high at £250 ish.

It's the cowon D still considered a good standard and still worth buying is at £179 ish.

Is there a better alternative in my price range?
Thanks in advance

So iPod nano finally given up on me time to move forward into hi Res MP3 player.

Needs to be sub £200.

I've looked at the Sony A45 A55 and they seem to tick the box with great reviews but the euro sound cap puts me off.
I've looked at ways to remove the cap but it seems a rather complex proceedure.

I've also looked at the cowon plenue D and this has trashy good reviews however it came out in 2015/16 so I'm thinking it might be lacking somewhat by today's technology.
There is a 2nd gen version but current pricing is just too high at £250 ish.

It's the cowon D still considered a good standard and still worth buying is at £179 ish.

Is there a better alternative in my price range?
Thanks in advance
Seriously they are loud enough. There is this slightly annoying thing where the volume resets itself to a mid point every 2 or 3 hours .. but it takes only a second to readjust.
I have just purchased a refurbished A45 from Sony at 74 quid.. delivery next week. That is my kind of bargain.. . This will be the third in my collection A25,A35 and now A45.

Opinions without a yardstick could go round in circles with no one prepared to ask the obvious of what model earphones or headphones are being driven into ears of what age
Fair enough but my 68.9 old ears, never subjected to shotguns or much disco music have found the following fully acceptable.
1. Sony MDR1
2.Sony MDR1A
3. Sennheisser Momentum on ears
4. Sennheisser Momenum wired ear buds
5. The original Sony N750 noise cancelling earbuds.. sadly no longer reliable .
Of course when using it with Bluetooth phones the volume from the NWA can be anything up to threshold of pain!

Thanks guys... I'm running some lovely klipsch in ear and over ear headphones...

Re the Sony A45-55 etc.. I've read so many good reviews but they always end with "frustrating euro sound cap".

Anyone tell me if the Cowon plenue D are still worth buying today... Came out 2016 to amazing reviews.?

Thanks guys... I'm running some lovely klipsch in ear and over ear headphones...

Re the Sony A45-55 etc.. I've read so many good reviews but they always end with "frustrating euro sound cap".

Anyone tell me if the Cowon plenue D are still worth buying today... Came out 2016 to amazing reviews.?
Right ..and since Stephen has insulted my honour ..( just kidding). I have just tried the following experiment with my old Apple itouch and my NWA35 . Playing at maximum volume on both machines the track from Chris Woods Handmade Album ... "My darling s downsized.." no discernible volume difference and uncomfortably loud, but just tolerable from both into the sennheiseher On Ears .
Since iPods and iTouch are from the same stable, they probably use the same power.

It takes 30 seconds to remove the 85dB limit cap, on Sony NW-Ax5’s. I did it on my A55 as soon as I got it. I also re-enabled the FM tuner.

Oic... Do you have step by step guide for me please?
..yes Mushii, I would appreciate that also. I found the instructions on the website inexplicable.

Mushii
Hi again...I looked at the link your sent.
So I have to do the following then?

Windows:

• Get the tool, see Getting the tool
  • Check your device letter in "My Computer"/"This PC". For example: WALKMAN (H:)
    If you don't see any letter, that probably means your device is set in MTP mode instead of MSC mode. In this case, open the Device Manager, under 'Portable Devices' you should see WALKMAN. Right-click on it, select "Update Driver Software.." then "Browse my computer for driver software" then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". Choose "USB Mass Storage Device" and click on "Next".
  • You need to open a command prompt in the directory where you downloaded the file.
    The easiest way to do it is to download this .bat file, put it in the same directory as scsitool and double-click on it (the .bat file).
  • Get your current destination code and sps setting:
    Type the following command, replacing X by the version number of scsitool and H by your drive letter:

• Get the tool, see Getting the tool
  • Check your device letter in "My Computer"/"This PC". For example: WALKMAN (H:)
    If you don't see any letter, that probably means your device is set in MTP mode instead of MSC mode. In this case, open the Device Manager, under 'Portable Devices' you should see WALKMAN. Right-click on it, select "Update Driver Software.." then "Browse my computer for driver software" then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". Choose "USB Mass Storage Device" and click on "Next".
  • You need to open a command prompt in the directory where you downloaded the file.
    The easiest way to do it is to download this .bat file, put it in the same directory as scsitool and double-click on it (the .bat file).
  • Get your current destination code and sps setting:
    Type the following command, replacing X by the version number of scsitool and H by your drive letter:

• scsitool-nwz-vX.exe H: dest_tool get
This will give a result something like
  • Result example: Model: NWZ-E585
    Series: NWZ-E580 Series
    Destination: CEW2 (103)
    Sound pressure: 1 (on)
Then type

scsitool-nwz-vX.exe H: dest_tool set E2 off

job done

OK where are you struggling, this took me 10 minutes from scratch to do.
Do you know what drive letter your walkman is ?

It's a lot simpler than it looks - I managed to do it last week and i've never even used Windows before.
If you type something wrong (like I did first time) i just says it can't do it, it won't brick your walkman or anything.
It's worth doing too, not because I needed more volume but because it gets rid of the annoying warning message you'd get occasionally.

OK where are you struggling, this took me 10 minutes from scratch to do.
Do you know what drive letter your walkman is ?
I recall attempting this some weeks ago, so I had another bash at it today..
Using the get command

It reports NW A35
Series NW a30 series
Destination CEW2 (103)
Sound pressure : 0 (off)
Now does that mean the cap is on or off?.

It is in the UK Models. But by changing the firmware it is re-enabled.

Cheers, do you recall what version is needed? I'm thinking of getting one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom