1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 player to PC integration - help please!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Anewbie, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Anewbie

Anewbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi folks,

I was hoping you could spare me some of your experience. I am in the market for an MP3 player, around the 40GB mark. My main concern is the integration of my chosen player with the current library of MP3s on my PC. At the moment I use Media Player which I am very happy with (I'm neither an Apple or Microsoft hater). I have all my MP3s (circa 25GB) in my My Music folder and Media player picks up the files from there without the need for the tunes to be loaded into a separate library. I currently have a Net MiniDiscMan which uses Sonicstage. This software infuriates the hell out of me as it uses a separate library. Why it can't use the My Music folder as the library I don't know. Everytime I add new music to my My Music folder I then have to remember to import that folder in to Sonicstage before I can transfer it to the MiniDisc player. In my research as to which MP3 player to get, I have downloaded iTunes. I have noticed that iTunes also uses this infuriating Library method.

So, my question is, are there any recommended players on the market which will hook up through Media Player (or any other programme that reads the files directly from My Music folder) and will auto update the player when I connect it to my PC? I see the iPod has authorisation protocols and can only be used one PC. Is this a problem, can it limit the use of the player?

I was also hoping to use the MP3 player as a standard removable disc when plugged into the PC, any ideas which players support this function?

Thanks for your help.

2. Anewbie

Anewbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anybody??

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    AFAIK many MP3 players connect to the PC via USB and you just drag & drop the MP3 files from any folder on the HDD to the MP3 player. When you add a new album you just drag that onto the player and that is all you need to do. Well thats how mine works.
    I have an iRiver iHP-120 20Gb player, but there are newer models with bigger drives in them. This player is also a USB HDD as you want, I don't know of any others that do this but would guess many of them will.

Mark.