• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

MP3 player that supports FLAC?

gjkendall

Standard Member
I currently have a Sony NW-A3000, but am thinking of getting rid of it...I'd ideally like to replace it with a player that supports FLAC, uses a nice and simple "drag and drop" facility and is a minimum of 20gig. (I am not interested in video playback)

A large percentage of my collection is in FLAC, and I really do not fancy converting everything...or is there a codec that will convert on the fly from FLAC to MP3 that is compatible with either my existing player (doubt it being Sony) or another decent player?

What is the best player that meets this criteria?

Thanks in advance for any replies...

G

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
A large number of devices support Rockbox. Have a look on the Rockbox site, there is a list of devices on there - might even include the one you own. Rockbox is a custom firmware which improves on the one's often released you the manufacturers own and will play FLAC :)

davidcotton

Established Member
I currently have a Sony NW-A3000, but am thinking of getting rid of it...I'd ideally like to replace it with a player that supports FLAC, uses a nice and simple "drag and drop" facility and is a minimum of 20gig. (I am not interested in video playback)

A large percentage of my collection is in FLAC, and I really do not fancy converting everything...or is there a codec that will convert on the fly from FLAC to MP3 that is compatible with either my existing player (doubt it being Sony) or another decent player?

What is the best player that meets this criteria?

Thanks in advance for any replies...

G

Or theres the iaudio 7 compatible with flac straight out the box.

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk....html?osCsid=c59d4d8bdc22bf962d422381bbf66737

cribeiro

Prominent Member
but Iaudio 7 has only 8GB, if I got it right... What about the Iaudio X5 or X5L, with 20GB? You have also the 30GB version, excellent SQ, long battery life (X5L) and it even works with Rockbox, if you want even more flexibility in EQ. But even with the original firmware will be recognized as an external HD.

I have it since quite some time and can only recommend it, although I must admit that the interface of the Ipod is unbeatable. BTW, you can also get an Ipod and install Rockbox.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Alberto

badbob

Banned
iriver H120/H140, with Rockbox. Brilliant :thumbsup: and with digital output means can act as a high quality source in a Hi-Fi. Got one. Drag and drop too (so is the standard firmware btw, although that doesn't playback flac)

You'll need to buy one secondhand, and probably require a new battery at the same time.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom