• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

MP3 player suggestions – other half's Christmas present

Flashy

Distinguished Member
As the title suggests, I'm after some suggestions for an MP3 player to give my other half for Christmas.

It's got to be simple to use, for listening to and with regard to putting music on it. She'd be fine with drag-and-drop (I think), or with an easy-to-use program like iTunes.

Reliability is important – it needs to work out of the box and not require constant fiddling with, again with regard to hardware and any software.

It's got to have a screen, as she can't stand the Shuffle I use in the car because she wants to see what's playing and what's on there. Audio quality isn't a high priority, as she'll mainly be using it to listen to music/audiobooks on the bus to and from work, and she's certainly not an audiophile.

The other issue is price – the cheaper the better, but I fully accept that the element of getting what you pay for comes into play. So, the cheaper the better, but with sacrificing as little as possible from the above.

I'm leaning towards an iPod Nano, either this gen or previous, particularly if any appear on the Apple refurb store (and maybe even an iPod Touch, if they happen to appear at a reasonable price). I know iTunes comes under fire for being restrictive and inflexible, but that'd be a benefit here, I think.

I'm open to other suggestions, though, and I'm more than willing to be persuaded to lean in another direction. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Ironically the Clip+ has quite good SQ so take it as a free bonus :p Really though, in a head-to-head with my old 4G Nano, fast electronica was noticeably handles better by the Clip+ whereas the Nano could not keep up with certain elements

Flashy

Distinguished Member
Thanks, both. Having read the reviews, I think the Clip is the way to go. I was beginning to think that before, if I'm honest, but wanted a shiny new iPod to play with more for me than her. :)

How does file transfer work with it? Is just a straight drag-and-drop in Explorer?

Steven

Senior Moderator
Yes. You can browse music via the folders you drag onto the device though of course if the music is tagged properly you can browse via the normal 'artist', 'album', 'genre' etc filtering

anlygi

I got the missus a Sansa Fuze 2 years ago and she still uses it lots. I was amazed at the sound quality for the price back then, which was like £60. Obviously not with the standard earphones though so factor in the cost of a semi-decent set too. Shes dropped it loads and it gets battered around her handbag with everything else and still works perfectly. Wish I had of just got one myself instead of the £140 Sony NWZ-A845 that has seriously restricted volume and a crack up the whole screen from a 30cm fall onto a desk :(. So you dont always get what you pay for. Granted the sound quality blows the sandisk away, but overall, not worth 3 of the Fuze's!

semo

Standard Member
Hi Flashy. One up for the sansa. I don't have one but from what I saw it looks very good.
SDHC means you should be able to add at least another 32GB, USB charging and people are saying it sounds good too.
Before you get dazzled by ipods though make sure you understand that "easy-to-use program like iTunes" is an oxymoron. Nobody I know likes this crap, even those who are in love with the device (missus included). Not only is itunes the ONLY way to put music on an "i" product, but also it is counter-intuitive and very slow on Windows machines

Steven

Senior Moderator
It is up for debate whether iTunes slows a PC down. Fact is millions get on fine with it. But then again you do not have to use it as anything more than a glorified hub to transfer content to your iPod. You can still use other programs to rip CD's. You just tell iTunes you do not want to let it manage your music collection. Whenever you add new content all you do is update your library and that's it. Maybe it is redundant to only ever start it up to add new music to the iPod but hey, you cannot have it all. Thanks

stevewestern

Again a vote for the sansa clip - I bought one for my wife last Christmas, and have another for my daughter this year, plus a clip + for me !
Sound quality is amazing for what it is, and as my clip+ is coming with a 16gb memory card, it will take enough music in flac format to keep me happy via the car stereo and it is no slouch via the main stereo.
If it helps, I used to have a home stereo in which my stylus cost almost £2000, meaning I do have some experience of a decent level of hifi !
I am not a lover of itunes, and all of us find the clips so easy to use, to load music onto and to listen to - if there is a fault, I would say that the packaging makes it all look a little small, so percieved value seems less than the sound quality/pleasure of ownership really is !

Jaded

Standard Member
Hi. I've just bought one of these as a Christmas present. I'm trying it out to avoid disappointment on the big day. The volume level seems low to me, even with the side mounted control set to max. I believe there might be a further adjustment but I'd really appreciate help in finding it. T I A. J

schjones

The volume level seems low to me, even with the side mounted control set to max. I believe there might be a further adjustment but I'd really appreciate help in finding it. T I A. J

System settings - reset factory settings - and then choose anywhere but Europe, EU law sets the volume limit.

schjones

And I just installed RockBox on my clip+ and it was a lot louder again (too much had to rip earbuds out), plus a lot of various functions added, even recording level and gain!

D

Deleted member 293381

I'm looking for my very first MP3 player (that does FM radio as well) and read this thread with interest. From what's been said the Sansa Clip+ 8GB appears to have quality sound playback and to be good value for money.

At present all our music (70GB of it) is on computer in MP3 and FLAC formats. However the missus would like to listen to her favourite music in the kitchen, so an MP3 player with FM radio and a docking/speaker system would fit the bill.

Couple of questions:

Are there any recommendations for a docking/speaker station with good quality sound for the Sansa Clip+?

What is RockBox?

Apologies for using your thread Flashy - but it does seem to tie in with my requirements. :blush:

schjones

"Rockbox is an open source firmware for mp3 players, written from scratch. It runs on a wide range of players"

Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware

I've just started playing with it but it seems great so far, although the original firmware was fine too. There is a lot of options and things to configure in Rockbox, was particularly happy to find the recording level stuff as I use the clip to record band rehersals sometimes, it has a good mic for a mp3 player, better than any other we've tried.
I don't know a thing about docking stations!

D

Deleted member 293381

Thanks for that guys.

The Clip+ seems the bees' knees, especially with rockbox installed.

Just need to sort out a good docking/speaker station and I'm in!

KJ Palmer

Sadly there are no specific speaker/docking stations for the Clip+ - the IPod has cornered the market on these. Even other MP3 player manufacturers make IPod docks, rather than ones for their own players. There are any number of generic powered speakers or micro systems you can plug any MP3 into with a stereo cable, depends what you're looking for really.

I'd be a little wary of Rockboxing the Clip+, it does what it says, but can be a little bewildering to use. The Clip+ has a lovely simple interface, so unless you really need all the extra Rockbox features, it might be best to avoid. Although you can always switch back (as I did).

D

Deleted member 293381

Thanks for that. I've been casting the net for a good quality docking/speaker station and can't find one that's suitable.

So... I'm approaching this from another direction. Now looking for a small good quality hi-fi radio system with docking capabilities.

Will now stop poaching this thread! :)

rugmike

:blush:"On another thread" as they say, I asked a similar question.

Thought I'd upgrade from a Clip+.

I'm now wondering if I should bother !

I've lost one, my son has literally worn one out (3 years constant blues/blues rock! - and ill-treatment) , and I'm into my 2nd year with present one.
Rockbox sounds v. interesting, only trouble is I'll have to get him to install it.

I do love it for its cheek, really - so small yet so good. Only drawback is the batteries can't be replaced. "Black Box Engineering".
Actually, I don't really know why I even thought of changing !

Yes, that's it, I'll just get another one for the car !!

Thanks all.
:thumbsup:
(Not going to stop making it are they ? )

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom