1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mp3 player recommendations please

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by saturday, Nov 30, 2003.

1. saturday

saturday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Christmas is coming and I want to get an mp3 player for one of my kids.

I've searched this forum for ideas and browsed the net but I'm no nearer knowing what to get. Requirements are 10gb+, compact and good sound.

The ipod generally has great reviews but it is more than I'd like to pay. The Creative Zen seems better value but I've read some reviews where the sound quality is criticised.

Can anyone offer a personal recommendation?

Thanks.

2. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    All the reviews I've read have praised the sound quality of the Zen NX to an high degree.

The 30GB Zen NX is ~£213 inc. delivery from tradeprice.co.uk

Far better value than the iPod in my opinion. (10GB for £250? Hmm! 40GB for £400? Perhaps not..)

3. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought one of these -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000UXH64/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1_2/202-5399316-4659010

And I love it! Despiite a wee bit of buyers regret at it's ugliness compared to the ipod and Phillips offering.

It offers absolutely massive storage at 60gig - which I think I'll probably never ever fill (not with music anyway).

It sounds excellent, better than my "once was" top of the range Minidisc player and better, to my ears at least, than the older generation ipod - I can't vouch for the new ones as I haven't heard them - similar compression was used ie 100% VBR.

Creative used to get a slagging for their software and this did concern me so much so that in preperation I purchased MusicMatch - big mistake - while the Creative affair is not as visually polished as MusicMatch itunes etc it does the job just as well - give it an hour (max) and you will have mastered it. One "big up" for Creative Mediasource (snappy huh?) is that it accesses the Gracenote CDDB database. Having said that it's not incredibly stable and I've had a couple of lockups on my home PC, although none at my much higher specced work PC.

One thing which I do really miss is the Remote Control which are ubiquitous on Minidiscs. I expect Sony will sort this out when they finally bring an MP3 jukebox to market next year some time

One thing I would be wary of though is that MP3 jukeboxes in general don't exactly feel like the most durable bits of kit I've ever owned so if it really is for kids I'd get em a Minidisc - much better battery life too.

4. saturday

saturday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. Zen looks the best bet.