1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 Player But No PC ?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Walton Goggins, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Walton Goggins

Walton Goggins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I am thinking about updating my minidisc portable to an mp3 player.

Usually I record onto MD using a portable cd player.

Do any mp3 players let you connect directly to a cd player to copy tracks or is a pc definitely needed ?
    I'm not bothered about titling or playlists and stuff, just want the music ???

I've looked around but am still unsure, a guy in currys said ministry of sound make one but he couldn't tell me the model as they don't do them.

Thanks a lot ! :thumbsup:

2. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Yes you can it's called direct encoding like the i-audio M3 see on web page http://www.jetaudio.com/products/iaudio/m3/ about a third down.

There must be others as well, check for line in connections and direct encoding as features.

3. Walton Goggins

Walton Goggins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thats exactly what I needed.
    Thanks very much Stevie. :thumbsup:

4. AntF

AntF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MPMan do at least one that has direct encoding Model FOP-8 - looks a bit like a smaller black ipod - bought one for my son from Dixons - now 30 quid cheaper at £99 - pretty good though as it has a radio and decent equaliser settings. 256mb.
    Apple are rumoured to be bringing out a solid state type of MP3 player but I have seen nothing confirmed yet.

5. inventor

inventor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My iriver H120 can be used to directly record and encode music from its line in socket to MP3. You can select the encoding rate. Of course, if you're recording a cd then the whole cd will be saved as one MP3 file, although I suppose you could record it as separate tracks by physically pausing the CD and stopping and starting recording after each song. As Andy would say, bit of a kerfuffle, but if you simply want the music and don't mind recording a whole Cd at once the quality can be good. The line-in doubles as a standard analog input or an optical input.

6. Walton Goggins

Walton Goggins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks AntF and inventor

Will look at these as well :)