1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 Phone

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by petrolhead, Jul 11, 2005.

1. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    As I am already considering a new MP3 player to replace my Xen (See for sales section ;) ) I had wondered about a new phone and then thought @How about a phone with a MP3 player built in.

I am a Nokia user and would prefer to stick with Nokia only bacause I am familiar with the menu etc (Sorry starting to ramble)

Anyway to the point:

How do these compare to dedicated MP3 players?

2. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello petrol head. I know Nokia are bringing out a 20gb hard drive player soon, and to be honest, that sounds like a pretty awesome device.

I have a SonyEricsson K700i, which has a very limited MP3 player built in. It only stores 40mb, but that was enough for me to have a few of my current fav's on for the tube. My opinion is that the MP3 players is very good in that phone. Its not very elegant, and there was no playlisting (there are on the new Sony Ericssons) but still for playing a few tracks it was fine.

The sound quality was actually very good, and had as good sound from an MP3 player as I've yet heard. The headphones are also better than the ones that came with my HD5!

Personally, I'd say, if you don't need much space, most Nokias have memory sticks now, and you can get decent capcity storage, and its solid state too!

3. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    same here - 700i also and the sound is decent thru the supplied headphones/hands free - you even get a decent fm radio builtin

nokia do plenty of phones with mp3 playback and you can put additional memory cards in some of them

4. Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the SE K750i, which does mp3 playback - both through headphones and a tinny loudspeaker - and takes memory stick pro duo (up to 2GB.)

I've tried it out, and it sounds fine - and 2GBs may or may not be enough capacity for you - but you're stuck using the supplied headphones (it's a proprietary socket,) and they're not very good, as well as being massive. I'm not sure about the capabilities of any playlisting functions, either.

In summary then: probably fine as a last resort for stuck-on-the-train situations, but no good as an mp3 player replacement.

5. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Nokia announced the N91 in May, it actually has better specs than the original IPOD mini .... details and pics here ....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1739126#post1739126

6. lockers

lockers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I know its not Nokia but....there is a new Sony Ericsson coming out in the UK supposedly in August which is the w800i phone. It is the first phone to have the Sony 'Walkman' brand attached to it.

From what I have seen about it on the web, it is basically like the k750i but with some dedicated buttons on the side for controlling music playback.

The thing which I'm most interested in with this phone is that it comes with headphones which look like the EX71 style, but even if they aren't so good, there is a 3.5mm socket so you can just use your preferred headphones, which is a step in the right direction of combining music with phones IMO.

Again like the k750i it uses a Memory Stick Duo, so has the option to expand to 2Gb but it does ship with a 512Mb card, which whilst not huge would give you the chance to have a fair few songs.

EDIT - There is a website with a review of a pre-release version, which can be found linked from the Gizmodo website. Try Googling the words w800i and Gizmodo and you should find it. There are lots of the pics of the phone, but some of which may not be suitable for work, hence why I haven't linked directly!

7. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,413
    I'll wait to see how small Nokia can make it......

which reminds me....remember when mobiles actually were bricks? :D ahhhhhh how times have changed

8. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Yep ... this was my first 'phone ... It was "Outstanding 'phone of the year 1995" I have you know :rolleyes:

http://www.retrofone.com/product_info.php?products_id=108

At 13.6 cm long (almost half a foot) it was a brick - and I'm sure that measurement didn't include the protruding aerial.

EDIT - In response to the challenge laid down below ;) I've just found out that my second 'phone was older than my first having been introduced in 1993.

This was the first 'phone I owned that other people were envious of, what with it being sooooo small for the time.

http://www.retrofone.com/product_info.php?products_id=118

9. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Ok for variuos reasons I have decided not to go the phone/mp3 route

Thanks for the replies

10. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,403
    In case anyone cares :)
    I use a Nokia 6230 (not the i model) as an MP3 player. I put a 256MB card in it and use a card reader to move music across. I only use it while walking my little one to nursery and back and it's more than adequate for that.
    There are some limitations - it doesn't understand ID tags (from iTunes anyway) so it just shows the file name. There are no fancy playlist options you can play all in order or shuffle what's on the card.
    Sound quality through the normal Nokia wired handsfree is pretty good but the handsfree itself is a pain to use - the ear buds always get tangled and there is no way to use better 'phones without a soldering iron :).
    You can use the speaker phone to play back music too and the quality is on a par with an AM portable radio but still better than nothing if you're having a picnic.
    I haven't noticed any massive hit on battery life from using it most days for about 20mins in total.
    Having to remove the card to swap music means I don't do it as often as I should but a blue tooth dongle or data cable would make that go away.

In summary I use mine like an iPod shuffle, but I don't have to carry 2 gadgets which suits me. It's not a replacement for a 20GB jukebox but it's a handy way to have 40 odd tracks in your pocket whenever you go out the door.

11. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think I can beat that! This was mine: http://www.retrofone.com/product_info.php?products_id=117 - I still have the box, battery and charger though I read it won't work becasue it's analogue I'm saving it for posterities sake, it probably won't ever be worth selling...

12. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have five of these, on all of them the sliding keypad has broken :( .

My current phone is this beauty!