1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 or MiniDisc ?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by villaceltic, Nov 18, 2003.

1. villaceltic

villaceltic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bear with me here because I'm possibly already out of my depth...

My teenage daughter recons she wants a MiniDisk player like her mates so that she can record music to it and pressumably download music from the net. My initial thoughts were that she really wanted and MP3 player, as that is what I equate with net based downloads, and my knowledge of Minidisk was (from years back) that they were relatively expensive, small cd's, that were read/play only.

Having just looked at the spec of a Sony MZ-N710 on Amazon and a 20Gb iPod I'm kind of confused as to the difference and merits of both.

Can anyone shed some light and (impartial as poss)advice as to what I should encourage her to get (well it'll be muggins-here obviously that ends up getting it).

Cheers

Macca

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    The new range of 'net MD players can play downloaded mp3's - AFAIK however they need to be 'loaded' through Sony's software running on a PC that converts from mp3 to atrac (sony's compressed music format) for the MD ... upsides are cheaper player and she can swap minidiscs with her friends ... downsides are having to carry around a few discs if she wants a variety of music - whilst you can squeeze 5 hrs or so of music on one disc it will show in quality terms ...

The iPod also will play mp3 tracks downloaded from the net and loaded to the iPod via Apple's iMusic software (Mac and PC) ... upsides are much longer running time - the 20Gb iPod can hold some 5000 songs on average, only iPod to carry around - no disks, probably better reliability as 'no' moving parts as such, and has that important *very* cool factor ... downsides are that it is more expensive than a net MD (although IMHO worth it), has no direct ability to swap tracks with friends and it does require a computer to load tracks ...

If you have a home PC then both units ship with the required software and hardware (cables (and card in the case of the iPod)) ...

Hope that helps ...

rgds

Jon

3. villaceltic

villaceltic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks.

A trip to the states is on the cards for early next year so I'll try to hold out until then, having read about the price differences, etc. on related threads.

Are there any 'new' iPod or similar MP3 players due between now and March that I should look out for.

Is the price likely to come down a bit in the near future or are they still too new?

Cheers

Macca

4. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the advantages of Minidisc players over MP3 juke box type affairs is the incredible battery life that you can get out of the latest Minidisc players 50hours + in most instances. This compares with a "real world" 10 or so hours on an iPod.

If you go for an iPod you're much better getting one in the states as the price is not only cheaper they're much louder too (although whether this is a good thing for your daughter or not is a bit subjective I guess), there has been some sort of volume limit set on Euro ipods due to, I believe, a French law.

I'm after an MP3 juke box as well, I'm migrating from Minidisc and have been looking at the iRiver models which look a very good product although are currently even more expensive than the overpriced ipods.

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Check out the latest What HiFi magazine - they have a Grouptest of the IPod and it's competitors. Some great new kit available out there right now IMO.