1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mp3 or atrac

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by micks_address, Jul 19, 2005.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    hi folks,

i got my sony hd5h at the weekend and i've copied on a few albums to it in mp3 192kbps...

my pc as gone into hibernation on me so it'll probably be a few days before i can copy any new albums to the player..

i have a few questions in the meantime...

if my pc doesnt come back to life and i have to get a new machine... can i just install sonic stage and continue copying on new albums or do i need to start from scratch again and delete whats on the player?

other question... i've been playing with the custom sound settings and i'm getting vexed that i cant use most of the sound settings with mp3...

i suppose the only real answer to this is to try myself and see but i'd like to get peoples opinions on whether to use mp3 or atrac for sound quality.... i'm not interested in the pro's and cons of sharing mp3/atrac just how say 256 atrac will sound versus 196kbp mp3...

are there any reviews of the sound formats that do comparisons etc?

thanks,
    mick

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Don't worry about that much. The best ones - the Digital Sound Presets (bottom of list) - work on all formats.

MP3 or Atrac. If you're ripping straight from CD, use Atrac, it's newer, more efficient, just better all around (for use on this player, anyway).

If you have a bunch of MP3s already, leave em as is (or rip them again if you own the original CDs) because recompressing again will just lower the sound quality a bit.

3. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Thanks Lyris... so you would deffo recommend ripping in atrac 256? will that use more space than mp3 192?

Cheers,
    Mick

4. Maxi_TK96

Maxi_TK96
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Atrac is Sony-only technology and as such I wouldn't waste time with it. Better to stick to something which is accepted just about everywhere like mp3.

5. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    but as sonic stage imports mp3s and wraps them as .omg files would i be as well off using atrac in terms of portability?

6. mrflabby

mrflabby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much damage can you cause to the reputation of a player in audio forums!!
    I own an hd5 and because I had read in the forums that the equalizer didn't work with mp3 files I never even tried using the Digital Sound Presets.
    Now I use them and what a difference!!
    Thanks for the info.
    Now I'm even happier with my player :clap:

7. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    hi folks,

i've been doing some non scientific tests with my ears between

192kps mp3 and 256 atrac on my hd5h... i also got a friend to check out the differences... i copied on u2's all that you can't leave behind and robbie williams escapology onto the hd5 in both formats

probably not the best musical choices but they were all we had at work to try out...

the testing was easy.. when you copy the same album onto the player twice it lists the tracks sequentially.. so we listened to track one in mp3.. then flicked onto the next track which was the same track in atrac format

the results.....

we couldnt tell much difference in the quality... using sennheiser mx550 earbuds... both of us thought the atrac was sligthly clear but reckon it could be just a placebo effect....

i think i prefer atrac... the other guy said he coulnt decide... both were very good...

size wise can anyone tell me how much more space does 256atrac use over mp3 192? is it a direct porportion in terms of kps? Also as i'm crap at maths can anyone tell me how many tracks/albums will i fit at 256atrac as opposed to 192kps mp3? the number of tracks that fit might swing me towards 192....

Cheers,
    Mick

p.s. also found a new way to get back to the playback screen from the menu's... press the menu button to get to the options menu.. then press and hold menu to get to the playback screen... probably obvious but i hadnt come across it in the book... slightly easier than selecting the playback screen option in the menu....

8. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    just to add we left the sound options off on all tests... so it was on default sound