1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mp3 naming formats

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by patwestlake, Apr 5, 2003.

1. patwestlake

patwestlake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    OK, so i've searched the forums... here goes....

I'm going to set up a distributed audio system, and am some way on with sorting out the hardware. X-boxes figure large as the players via a home network.

The question is, for ease of indexing the tracks, what is the best format to log the data? I'm about to emabark on ripping 400+ audio CD's, and whilst I have found data for the best quality to use, no-one has suggestedd the best format for the file naming conventions to ease indexing....

should it be directory based - artist/album/track.mp3?
    should it be literal my music/artist-album-track.mp3

or what?

Someone MUST have done this before!!

Pat

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best format to use is the one which will enable you to find what you want most quickly. And that depends on your own personal preferences and needs. Also depends what player you're going to use as well though because most of them will display the album and artist when you load up a track.

Personally, I'd be inclined to store them as

artist/album/artist-album-track_number-track_name.mp3

Have the best of all worlds :smoke:

3. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    My Collection goes as follows

First Letter of Artist or Band/Artist or Band/Album/Track Number - Track Name.mp3

This way everything is easy to find. I also have to further directories for OST's and complimations (which I must get around to organising into chill out/ classics/ 80's etc.).

In terms of playing the stuff, I have a wireless network setup which I use Buffalo Ethernet Converters http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wli-t1-s11g.htm hooked up to the SliMP3 Ethernet MP3 Player http://www.mtcomp.co.uk/slimp3/index.html to play the mp3's.

A very nice solution.

Guy

4. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Once you have several thousand audio files the need for properly thought of organization becomes even more apparent. I am organized like Squirrel God, i.e.

artist/album/artist-album-track_number-track_name.mp3

Good luck.