1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 Jukebox-The Final Answer

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Philip Newton, May 21, 2003.

1. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have about £260 burning a hole in my pocket and want to buy a MP3 Jukebox 20gb. The criteria is this:-

Iwould like to be able to record directly to it as I only have access to a computer at work (altough it is my fathers business and live above the office so I have all the out of hours access I need to the computer for the bulk of the use) I would like to add tracks as and when at home.

In car use.

Now I do not have Firewire so would need USB conectivity but could always buy cheap (ebay etc) but as it is not my computer I am not sure.

Data storage aswell as music

Ability to connect it to an amp

Easy search options and the ability to label tracks away from a computer.

I have seen the Creative Jukebox 3 but do any of the others do this such as the ipod or Zen (other models welcome) Not keen on ARCHOS

Many Thanks

2. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    You may not been keen on the ARCHOS but it will do everything that you need it to. I own (well, i think i do as it has now been back @ dabs.com for 6 weeks under warranty repair!) the Archos multimedia jukebox (20gb).
    Sound quality (mp3 encoded @128kps) is excellent. (with a good set of headphones) The menu system is a little fiddly but you get used to it.
    Archos support is OK, with regular firmare updates, although these do have to be downloaded. Customer care however, would not seem to be so hot. They failed to reply to my emails when i reported a problem with the unit.
    Hope this has been of some use.

3. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard of many faults with that player.

Some include:-

Unit switching itself off
    Shorter battery life than stated
    Screen artifacts and scan lines
    Problems powering up, (whirring noise and then nothing)

I see that yours in in for repair what is the nature of the fault as it ma be one off the above check out this:

http://www.hotmp3gear.com/mmjb/disassembly.htm

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I bought one of the 20GB Creative Labs Jukebox 3 players for my girlfriend a while back. She was very chuffed with it. I was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality myself. I have it in mind from somewhere that the newer Zen is actually not quite as good.

The Apple iPod always gets very good reviews too.

5. kennydies

kennydies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I did read somewhere that microsoft were bringing out a larger version of the archos multimedia jukebox, with a bigger screen. May be worth waiting for.

I have the multimedia jukebox and am very happy with it as travel on the train lots.

6. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kennydies do you get any problems with your ARCHOS as described or is it plain sailing.

Also I have seen the microsoft one in STUFF magazine this month nice looking but a bit more than I am looking for as movies etc is not really my priority but it does look quite sexy. I have to say I am leaning towards the Creative jukebox 3 (what hifi gave it 5 stars) does anyone know if the ipod can record mp3s away from a computer.

Keep the posts coming I am getting closer to placing an order!!

I like the look of the prices on www.dukebox.com what do you think?