1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3/iPOD for Bozos

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by the_sanguine, Oct 19, 2003.

1. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Excuse my ignorance guys but I'm looking for a small device that I can store my CDs on and plug into an autocom system for use on a motorcycle. I can buy a pioneer CD multichanger with a Honda badge on it for £800 but I reckon there must be a better (cheaper, smaller, less jitter, comparable sound quality) solution out there somewhere. Some of the guys are starting to use an iPOD which sounds ideal. However, I only use a company PC and therefore don't have a CD writer (if that's what I need). So my questions are:

How good is the iPOD?
    Is it the best solution for me?
    Can I power it from a 12v supply (the bike)
    How do I get the music into it? (I guess I could get a friend with a decent PC to do it for me?)
    Is a US one cheaper/same/different?
    Where do I get the best deal?
    Which model do I go for?
    So I wait till after Christmas?

2. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It does sound like the iPOD is ideal for you. It's just a hard disk player that plays MP3s. You do not need a CD Writer at all. All you need is a PC (or Apple MAC) that has USB 2 or FireWire connection. You rip yor CDs on the PC using the supplied MusicMatch software and transfer the MP3 files to the iPOD.

The iPOD is fantastic - certainly the best MP3 player I've listened too, I've got one of the old ones - 10Gb and have had it for about a year and listen to it pretty much every day.

There are now a number of models on the market a 10Gb, 20Gb and 40Gb player. I reckon if you can afford go for the largest one you can. On the top player you should be able to store 10,000 songs !!! Also there's a new update to allw you to transfer photos from a storage card.

I have a car charger that fits into the cigarette lighter, not sure what voltage it is but guess it'll be the same as your bike.

As for where to get it from - just have a look on the web, you should be able to get some good deals - even on eBay for an older model.

HTH

3. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK thanks.

My PC is a company one but the USB port has never worked (as it was running Windows NT) but I have just been upgraded to xp. Should it work now?

4. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    You might find that the usb port is an old 'usb1' and not an 'usb2' that is required for PC/iPod connection ... if you buy a windows/PC iPod you will get a firewire card with it ... you'd need to check with your IT bod if you are allowed to fit it (it will come with XP drivers) ...

I'd go for one of the new syle ipods with no external moving parts - be easier to press/change buttons ... it does have a keylock that can be used so you don't accidentally change tracks/settings ...

The US ones are cheaper if you are over there - even more so if you shop in a salestax-free state - and won't be noise-limited as the european ones are ... thanks to some dumb EU ruling ... if there are problems then it will need to go back to Apple anyway - they may be sniffy about imported ipods, i don't know ...

The best 'value' I guess is the current 20gb as it has all the extras (case/dock/remote) at the lower price ...

Hope that helps

Jon

5. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cheers John,

I'll check that out. I do have some colleages in the US that I meet on a regular basis

6. Frankie_D

Frankie_D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got a 15gb iPod and it is brilliant

If you want a new one then prices are the same at most places in the UK but they are cheaper in the US, but the US models will come with a US plug so you'll need an adapter to charge it at home.

I agree with jont that the 20gb is best since it is not too expensive but has a dock, case and remote.

Hope that helps

Frankie

7. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    is there a step down transformer or does it plug straight in the mains?...ie will I get away with just changing the charger? Is it universal? what voltage?

8. Frankie_D

Frankie_D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You just need a UK plug to US plug transformer which can be found in most stores boots is usually a good bet for them

9. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    franny d to the rescue again my friend, good work!i can't wait to get my ipod,, onyl another 2 months :)
    Fred

10. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    AFAIK the transformer part is universal ... all you'll need is a UK 3-pin plug to the 'figure 8' lead ... available from B&Q, Maplins, RS, etc ... (thats what happens on my old ipod) ... maybe someone with a dockable pod can confirm for fred ...

Just d'loaded this and you slide off the US two-prong part and underneath is the 'figure 8' socket ...

rgds

Jon

Attached Files:

11. Frankie_D

Frankie_D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes jont is right the adaptor that will come with the US iPod can be changed by a UK socket with a figure of eight connector on the other end.

F.