1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mp3 help needed

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by 18j, Jan 4, 2003.

1. 18j

18j
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just bought a kiro 64mb player but cannot get more than the stated 64mb onto it which is 1'sh mp3 disc but the ad states 2-3 cd's worth at 64 Kbps WMA - CD quality see www.advancedmp3players.co.uk. how do i get this amount onto the player. hope someone can help also i'm new to pc's so please take it easy with the answers

thanks
    wayne

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, what's the problem? 64 MB is your limit bud :D

MP3s take up more room than WMAs. They are different file formats. Hence you can probably get more WMAs in 64Mb than MP3s (depending on the bitrates).

You want 2-3 CDs of WMAs like they advertise, then you need to store .wma files on the disk (and not MP3s)

Make sure each .wma file is encoded at 64 Kbps (fixed bit rate, not variable bit rate). You can download some Windows Media Player extras (called WMP Bonus Pack) from

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp

It contains a program to help you convert MP3s to WMAs.

Make sure you upgrade to Windows Media Player 9 Series while you're there (if you haven't already).

Also, hate to break the news to you but 64 Kbps is nowhere near CD quality (it always annoys me that these companies advertise low bit rates at being CD quality :mad:). 64 Kbps is more like FM radio quality ;)

However, if you have an MP3 and a WMA that are both at the same bit rate, e.g. 64 Kbps, the WMA will always sound better than the MP3 so stick with WMA ;) If you want better quality, then go up to 128 Kbps or even 192 Kbps (approaches CD quality, if it's variable bit rate then even better quality) - but of course you will get less on your CD the higher the bit rate you use.