1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 Head Units - £150ish

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by johnhol, Jul 12, 2005.

1. johnhol

johnhol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Needing some advice ppl.

Currently have a Sony CD player (not MP3) which is 4x50w (not Xplod).

I want to upgarde to an MP3 player and like the look of the Pioneer DEH7700MP. It's the OEL display I'm afraid, I have heard the sound quality yet.

I realise it's down to personal opinion though is the unit any good? And are there better alternatives - caraudiosecurity have this at £154.99 which seems excellent value.

Looking to buy this weekend...so please help..... :confused:

2. Ex Inferis

Ex Inferis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've not heard this one either. However, I've been looking on Ebay for a cheap HU to hook up my MP3 player to. Similar ones to this are all over the place! I'd pop by there for a look before plumping for this one. Never know, you might find a better one for less!

Ex Inferis.

3. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,715
    I've got an earlier incarnation, the 7500. It cost around £300 18 months ago without a remote so this seems an absolute bargain.

The OEL display is a bit pants. I would much rather trade it's silly psuedo video clips (which I have never used & never will) for a proper display of MP3 data. Sadly you're limited to 16 characters in 2 lines of 8. This is even worse should you add the DAB tuner as you have to manually select DAB text & then manually scroll it. This really renders DAB text all but useless.

The infinite gimmicky eq settings are also a pain in the bum as you have to trawl through menus to adjust anything. Once you get it right though (or lose the will to try any further adjustments), sound is quite good.

Depending upon your age, you'll either love or hate the attempts to mimic Aiwa's "how many different colour LEDs can we pack into a plastic silver box". Personally I hate it on the 7500 & rue the day I allowed Pioneer to lie to me, but that'a another story altogether.

Oh, & don't be fooled by Pioneer's claim of red illumination. In anything other than total darkness it's an extremely naff pink!

Sound 9/10
    Functionality 5/10
    Appearance 0/10

4. johnhol

johnhol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Cheers for that...think the text auto scrolls nonw so that sorts that issue out. Really confused about what to get....seen some sonys that look quite good on ebay..SONY CDX-F7750B which is Buy Now for £169.99.

I'm surprised by the amount of people who don't like Pioneer. I thought they were one of the best...maybe I was wrong.

What about Kenwood and JVC?

5. wezzb

wezzb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, my advice would be to go for an alpine every time,i used to have a pioneer but after hearing an alpine i was totally converted,and even the entry level alpines have an excellent mp3 management system which makes it really easy to choose individual albums/tracks.Not sure on unit prices but im sure you'll be able to get a decent alpine for around £150.

6. johnhol

johnhol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I'm that confused I'm now looking at the JVC KD-DV5101 DVD MP3 player. Found it for £179 which I find unbelievable.

Anyone know about these and if JVC are any good.

Cheers