1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mp3 head unit

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by vik, Sep 18, 2003.

1. vik

vik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone help... i looking for an mp3 head unit in my car.... cheapest one i have seen so far is panasonic CQ-RDP383 for £110 (inc del from letsbuycaraudio.com)

Any of you used this site before? are they ok? do you know of any cheaper deals out there?

I dont want to spend too much money on it - but want one that sounds reasonable - i was making the assumption that it will sound good as is an ok brand! my car speakers arent great (old audi a6 - factory fitted nokia speakers - which i am hoping to change one day!!!!)

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    sony cdxmp40 available for £125 ish and there is a panasonic at the same money

3. tvr

tvr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have the Sony cdxmp40, as mentioned by hornydragon.

I am very happy with this budget headunit.

You can burn an MP3 CD and navigate through albums/folders etc.

A good choice!

4. Hugh

Hugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    Vik,

The Panny can be had from incarexpress.co.uk for £99.99 plus about 6 quid P+P.

I've just ordered the Pioneer 3500. £130 including VAT & Delivery. Due to arrive in the next couple of days. Cheapest by some way and they don't seem to be going over the rop with an inflated P+P price.

The Sony is the same price as the Pioneer too.

Oh, and I have no financial or otherwise interest in their site other than passing on a tip.

Enjoy.

Hugh

5. mre15

mre15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    One thing worth noting is that the panasonics also play wma files whereas I think none of the others support them.

I bought my nice panasonic 983 from here http://www.mcs-direct.co.uk/index1.asp

Good luck with your shopping

6. neilybealy

neilybealy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    i'm considering getting an mp3 unit to replace my sony but i heard someone say that most mp3 players will pause for a few seconds inbetween tracks?

is this the case with the players mentioned above?

it would be really annoying trying to listen to a dance cd where each track is mixed into the next but you get a 3 second pause whilst the player is reading from the disk

7. vik

vik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont think it does... when u burn using nero then u can choose to put in the gaps

8. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +580
    Vik which nero?

9. vik

vik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use nero express - there is a box that says no pause between tracks - i have never used it though!

10. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    If you are burning mp3's to cd and putting a pause between tracks or not (depending if u tick the box) ...it means you are burning the mp3 files as audio cds and not mp3s.

mp3s files are just data and as such a pause does not apply to them. A computer (or headunit) is just reading the data and decoding it. It is not time based as per a audio track on a audio cd. If you are writing mp3s (nero converting on the fly to audio cd format) then you can of course add a pause or not, up to you. So it will record the mp3 at e.g 3.43 and 2 second pause (standard) as requested.

Vik, do you want a headunit that can play mp3 files or a headunit that can play copied audio cds ? (i.e 10-12 tracks per cd or 40+ tracks per cd) ?

11. Jamp

Jamp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the Panasonic unit, £100 from MCS Direct. It does what I wanted (WMA) but it isn't perfect. You get a slight pause between tracks (only noticable if the two tracks are mixed into each other to make them seamless normally) but it's only a fraction of a second and doesn't really bother me much. What is annoying is how long it takes to load an MP3/WMA CD, must be about 20 seconds. It has to start again after it looses power while you're starting the engine, if you've been waiting for a passenger or whatever and left the ignition on 'electrics on'. It also looks/feels a bit tacky and flimsy, never had a problem with it though. Also I like the fact the display just gives you text, no silly dancing graphics to distract, although it is a bit bright for night driving. Sound quality seems fine, mine's an Impreza that previously just had the standard headunit, this unit has given a big improvement even with the standard speakers.
    I'd say it's good value, and I'd buy another, just be aware that you'll find a few flaws.
    Good luck,
    Ben

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Just to let you know i used mcs-direct for a sony hifi for my sister service was great and have no hesitation in reconmending them to you. will be ordering an MP40 soon just hoping to see a price drop first!!!

13. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I purchased the Kenwood KEN-KDCM4524G from Car Audio Direct

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pro...=1986&osCsid=5744b63f39ae934b3f0ec0fce46aa9c3

It's a fantastic player and very quick when accessing MP3 tracks. The pause between tracks is less that half a second and it displays the track names via the ID3 tags. Sound is excellent too and you have the option later on to add a DAB pack.

No WMA support though which is only a minor thing for me. Great price and fast delivery also.