1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mp3 head unit

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by flat spot, Apr 20, 2003.

1. flat spot

flat spot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Has anyone bought a mp3 playing head unit for their car?? I'm looking into buying one but they seem quite dear at the moment.
    Only want average quality I guess. :rolleyes: Any recommendations?

2. Fairzo

Fairzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at the Blaupunkt Woodstock. Bit pricey because it's got DAB as well but it seems OK to me.

3. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, just bought a sony cdx mp40 for £150 for the new motor.

http://www.incardiscount.co.uk/acatalog/Shop_Sony_MP3_Players_28.html

You've got to put the MP3's onto a CD, but that's not exactly a problem as they're coming via my PC anyway, and I was about to spend that on a CD head unit alone.

I guess if you want a player with a hard drive, you're going to be looking at big bucks.

I'm just waiting for the antenna adaptor to turn up at Halfords tomorrow so I can fit it.

4. flat spot

flat spot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Certainly looks 'flash' that one. One for the thievin' gypsy barstools that one.:eek:

5. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    bought one last week too...its really good

6. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More worried about them nicking the motor, not got 500 miles on the clock yet, and they'd probably grab the radar detector & geodesy too :rolleyes:

The face is removable and I'm in the habit of taking it out anyway, as all my previous head units have had removable faces.

Hopefully it'll be going in tonight when I get back from work, I'll let you know the result soon.......

7. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, it's in the Cooper (BMW wiring is a pain), and I've just done a 300+ mile roundtrip Birmingham and back to give a 30 min presentation :rolleyes: So plenty of time to try it out.

Threw every mp3 I have onto a couple of cd-r and it played through all of them, took a few seconds to initialise but once in played spot on.

Switching back to the tuner occasionally then back to MP3's the player cut in exactly where I'd left the track. I'd expected to be booted to the beginning of the track, but it went straight back to where I'd left it.

There's a whole bunch of options & features I've not even started to look at, but the MP3 playback is excellent.

For the price I'm very impressed and very pleased with the player. Whilst picking up the cables to install it someone was buying the exact same player in Halfords for £50 more :smashin:

8. flat spot

flat spot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Thx jason I'll consider that then......:rolleyes: :smashin:

9. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    i have an apline CDA-7893R, and its fantastic with mp3 cds. thats pretty much all i use in the car nowadays, the quality (dwon to the ripping process as well) is excellent and cds are marginally better, but you can get an entire back catalogue of an artist on one disc! although theres no flashy lights on it and it doesn't do screensavers adn stuff, the sound quality is suberb - all for just around £250:clap:
    coupled to an alpine MRV-T420 amp and a jl audio 12" sub, it can really kick if you want it to as well:devil:

10. obrother

obrother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I just got a CDX MP40 from www.mcs-direct.co.uk, delivered next day for £135 (very nice it is, too).

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Oooh looking at one of these for the missus anyone tried connecting it too a Vauxhall OEM display? £135 is a good price cheapest i found it was Hiway for £140 + del
    Ps link doesn't work for mcs but a google for "mcs-direct" gets it straight away.

12. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Pioneer 7400, which I picked up for £300. Very pleased with it, has the colour display with screensavers etc, and the sound quality is good. Haven't used the mp3 features that much yet, but I intend to start doing this soon. Some test files that I tried with it sounded pretty good though - files encoded at 128K I think (or was it 192K?)

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Can a Sony MP40 owner let me hnow how it has performed now its benn a few weeks and what rate are you using for MP3 and can you reconmend some MP3 ripping software please. How easy is it to navigate the Mp3 traks and does it display track name artist or just the number i am an MP3 newbie so please go easy on me!

14. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine's performed flawlessly, and I'm very please with it. It's like having a 15 disc CD changer in the dash :D

Plays both cheap R's & RW's without a hiccup. When you first insert a Disc it takes a minute to initially browse the disc, but after that as long as the disc's in the player it starts up first time.

I just wish it had an orange display to match the interior of the MINI, but you can't have everything :(

I'd like to get the wheel mount for the remote, but can't find one (probably have to visit the Sony shop)

Navigating MP3's is easy with the Album (folder) name being displayed, then the track / file name. You can cycle through albums / folders with one set of buttons and tracks with another.

I've got mine setup to use the ID3 tag and scroll it across the screen once, but there's a bunch of different options for this

For MP3 ripping I use Alto MP3 Maker. Got it via Download.com, I just let it query the online cddb and create the ID3 tag itself.

I use 128bit for the sample rate, but the MP40 player will play some I've got with lower bit rates (unlike my DVD Player)

Err, that's about it.

15. Mahtey

Mahtey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  16. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I love my sony ..i use music match jukebox to ID tag my mp3's..only one complaint i wish the track display would always scroll and not stop after on scroll..but thats minor.I think for £150 you cant go wrong

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Well it has to be sony or Kenwood and i cant afford kenwood.
    Thanks Jason we i need to find out more about MP3 Ripping. I need to put about 3-5 Albums on to an R or RW Disc so i was hoping to use a higher rate to keep quality Up. I really want a system that will let me put CD> MP3 automatically and Tag it all and then rip it quick. I want as leave and forget system but as It will done on a laptop i am going to have to keep swapping disks. Really i want an MP3 Jukebox program that i can then transfer to CD for use in the car.

18. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    look around at the various jukebox programmes there are and find the one that suits you best ..you will have t record the cds to mp3s at wotever bit rate you desire then tag them then record to the cd you want to play in the car

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Ok mate thanks

20. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    have a look at musicmatch it lets you pick your bitrate

21. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Kenwood mp3 headunit. I've been making mp3 cd's up for a while now.
    Once you have your mp3's you may find the volume varies from track to track on a compilation or album to album. I use the free mp3gain to make them all similar. All it does is change the bit in the mp3 that sets the volume - it does not re encode.
    The kenwood is awsome at playing mp3's but poor at sorting files. I have to have the start of the file name as a number or it will play them out of order. The cheap Tag&Rename is a wonderful tool for naming and auto tagging albums using the internet.

22. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the good things about the encoder I use (Alto) is that it adds the track number to the beginning of the file (If you tick that box of course) So they play in order (I use folders for each album)

Max setting for min bit rate is 320 Kbits/second (but I leave it at 128Kbits/sec)

It interrogates freeDB for the track names etc, and creates the ID3 tag from that.

It's simple and works, nothing too taxing, which is why I like it. I just stick a disc in the drive, launch the app, click 2 buttons and it does the rest. The trial version allows you to rip the first 12 tracks of a disc too ;)

I've not tried Music Match, but it'd have to offer something special for me to switch now.......

23. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    i d/l that one ..put in the 1st cd i had to hand "abbey road" and it couldnt find a match

24. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bizzare, as it had marilyn mansons golden age of grotesque before it was officially released on there?

It must be missing from the freedb online database it queries...

25. ahenry

ahenry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get a 2003 Kenwood KDC-M4524G for £134.95 plus £7 postage from http://www.incardiscount.co.uk/acatalog/Shop_SPECIAL_OFFERS_21.html

I've seen a few comments from people who have bought these and they have all been positive.

26. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Thanks for the Tip ahenry but thats lower spec than the sony and more, Good price though!
    I cant cope with try to show the missus any more HU's!!!!It was the 6024G i was looking at i think. Needs to have the OEM display interface.
    I prefer the Sony CDXMP40 and have had some very good reviews.

27. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony CDX-MP40 MP3 (Explód Design) # 2003 MODEL RANGE #
    CD/MP3/RDS Tuner * FM/MW/LW * 4 x 50 watts * CD, CD-R, CD-RW & CD-MP3 Compatible * CD/MiniDisc Changer Control * Full UK Warranty

what does it mean by CD/MiniDisc Changer Control?

are any of these mp3 jukebox software (Alto/music match) available free?

EDIT - actually does it mean you can attach a changer

28. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any point in the remote if you already have the joystick?

29. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Change track from the back seat!

Yes you can attach a CD or minidisc changer and it will control it!

Try searching for the programs some have 30 free trial etc.

30. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am interested in getting one of these

anyone know how easy it would be to swap the CD player over from the CDX-L450 I have?

Also how much do you think I could get for the CDX-L450?