1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 Head Unit Experiences

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by dolph, Feb 26, 2004.

1. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I see there is quite a long thread in here on MP3 head units - just wanted to write on my own experiences in case it helps anyone.

I have a 2000 year 206 which has completely non-standard fitting cables. To combat this I could have just bought an adapter to connect it, but wanted to keep the in-buil control stalk functionality.

Autoleads.co.uk make these, just search for your car and year and hey presto (avaliable predominantly for Sony head units but also Kenwood/Alpine I believe)

Another quirk however of the 206 is it's own custon display that with the in-built stereo gives certain details, I wanted to keep this and found this company that make adapters for this for Sony head units only. www.connects2.co.uk

With all that in mind I needed to find a good MP3 head unit from Sony. I was reliably informed that the new 2004 range of head units are a vast improvement on the previous years, was just about to buy the new CDX-R3300 head unit (£120 if you shop around), but as this doesn't have a CD-changer control is no good for the connects2 adapter.

Finally I bought a CDX-F5500 head unit at £140 (one up from R3300 and still not widely available in UK, only sent out to most retailers last week). Comes with the free IR remote as well.

Connection was easy, connects2 adapter did all the hard work. Had a little trouble getting the factory fitted head unit out and scratched the dashboard console a little but thats another story.

Hope all this helps someone, any questions feel free to ask (feel like an expert on all this with all the research I've had to do!!!). Have to say that I'm well pleased that I've managed to install it myself - it's quite satisfying to know you did it yourself.