mp3 download to flac ?

mcdonja

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've been buying Music from Amazon, downloading tracks and Albums in MP3 format, havent bought a CD for years. I've been listening to these on a Creative Zen and an Ipod

I'm in the process to upgrading my Hi Fi, so thought it would be time to convert all my CD's to FLAC files for the best music quality.

I've read the sticky about codecs etc and feel confident I can convert my existing CD collection to FLAC,

BUT

What about all the MP3 tracks I've bought in the past? Is there anyway I can get these converted to FLAC.

I think I read somewhere that if you have downloaded MP3's from iTunes you can burn them to a CD, then Import them to iTunes as Apple Lossless . Is that correct and could I do the same with my downloaded MP3 files from Amazon?

If the answer is no, does that mean(for new music purchases) I will have to start buying CD's again and then convert them to FLAC and/or MP3 files?

I dont want to buy a CD player, I'd rather use a streamer/DAC

Is there anywhere you can download .wav or FLAC music files instead?

Apologise if this has been askled before, I'm wondering what to do with my MP3 files, before I start buying new Hi Fi kit (incl streamer)

Thanks

The mp3s are already compressed i.e. the 'bits' have gone. Converting to flac wouldn't bring the missing bits back unfortunately. You can convert from mp3 to flac but all you are doing is changing the file format.

Well you could covert MP3s to FLAC using something like Foobar, but you won't gain anything. Your MP3s are compressed, low-bitrate files (probably 192 or 256kbps). Data has been lost and there's no getting it back. FLACs are lossless, and retain all the audio data of the original CD. For info, a CD, being lossless, has a bitrate of approx 1400kbps (in FLAC format this gets squeezed into a storage-friendly size equating to around 700-odd kbps).

And any Streamer you buy will be able to play mp3 format, so not a lot of benefit to doing a convertion.

Thanks guys, ive been reading thru the forum and I guess I'm stuck with my current MP3 tracks and if I want FLAC quality I need to start buying CD's again, rip them to WAV files and then convert to FLAC.

Really appreciate the replies, cheers guys

Thanks guys, ive been reading thru the forum and I guess I'm stuck with my current MP3 tracks and if I want FLAC quality I need to start buying CD's again, rip them to WAV files and then convert to FLAC.

Really appreciate the replies, cheers guys

...or download them as FLAC if they're available on label website, HDTracks, etc......

If you have the CD, you can rip directly to FLAC with the latest version of EAC.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom