1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 Dictation Machines- Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Slapnut, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Slapnut

Slapnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hoping someone can help. I work as a journalist and often need to record good quality audio interviews so they can be played back on radio.

At the moment im having to carry around my laptop and record using a mic connected to that, as the old analogue dictation machines have poor sound quality. I have colleagues who use Mini-Disc players but I dont really like the format.

There's a number of MP3/WMA digital dictation machines out there at the moment- can anyone recommend me any good ones?

Do the iPod's record voice? Is the quality any good?

Sound quality is of prime importance over anything else, but hey, if I can get one for around £100, that would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

2. alike

alike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, iPods allow audio recording (but you need an external microphone and adaptor to do this - something like Belkin's three microphone accessories, Griffin's two iTalks and the iFM, or DLO's VoiceNote). iPods up to the 4G version only allowed recording at an 8kHz sampling rate, which was adequate for voice menus, but not good enough for your purposes. The new 5G iPod however (the one with video) has a monaural recording mode of 22.05kHz, or a stereo mode of 44.1kHz, which should do the job nicely.

The 5G iPod forces microphone accessories to use the dock connector rather than the old dual remote/audio out connector of earlier iPods, and the only microphone accessory able to do this to date is Griffin's new iFM for dock connector:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/ifmdock/index.php

which has a dubious benefit of also including an FM radio.