1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3/DAB CD Sytem ???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by cookie2112, Nov 16, 2004.

1. cookie2112

cookie2112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I see a couple of these sorts of systems are appearing now (eg. ONKYO CS-220UK) and am wondering what others you could recommend?

I would also a like fair bit of power as I would play electronic drums through them (via phono connection) :)
    but 'neighbour alienating' power is not required!!

Rgds

2. GTSkater

GTSkater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking at this recently.

What I want is a Mini Hi-fi. Something like this Sony http://www.sony.co.uk/ShowProduct.d...=HFS+MiniDisc+Music+System&product=CMT-M373NT although MD isn't essential, but would be preferable.

Finding these type of systems is quite straight forward. But finding one with a DAB Tuner included is quite difficult.

There is this the Pure Digital Legato http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/homeentertainment/dabradio/productView.htm?quicklinx=37B9. But I was hoping to spend less than £300, maybe closer to £200.

And theres a few here http://www.radio-now.co.uk/dab_digital_radio_tuners.htm but nothing really fits the bill. Perhaps I'm being too picky.

The Onkyo sounds promising but the only specs I could find didn't mention anything regarding DAB. Can you help?

Cheers

Why am I listed as a New Member although I joined almost two years ago.

3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    I've just ordered a TEAC reference 250 from HiFiBitz.co.uk (£200) that I'll be adding speakers to. It's almost sub micro as it's so small - it has a CD, DAB and FM tuner and some inputs and outputs. It also comes with matching speakers for £250 ish.

There aren't many options that I came across - there's a cheap Goodmans that got good reviews at £99. A Hitachi I saw in Curry's that sounded OK (as far as you can tell in those sheds) about £170 IIRC.
    There is also a unit from Samsung that was a bit too Blackpool Illuminations for me to seriously consider.
    Denon told me they don't currently have plans for a DAB unit at the moment.
    It looks to me that many of the bigger Japanese manufacturers aren't interested in DAB and the UK may be out on a limb vs. the US and Europe which means a lack of choice.

Another option is a seperate tuner unit. Dixons group are doing an add on DAB tuner unit for £40 with any mini system over a certain price or £70 on it's own - it looks a bit limited but it's cheap.
    TEAC do a micro seperate DAB tuner in the reference 300 range but that's a budget busting £160 on it's own IIRC.
    XFM and iTech are launching an interesting unit http://www.xfm.co.uk/article.asp?id=46061
    They don't list an output but this picture shows a couple of sockets on the back and another shot shows a headphone output in the side?
    http://www.xfm.co.uk/photoWallPhoto.asp?title=Xfm DAB Radio&wallID=11428&photoID=846409
    Again this is will be exclusive the DSG :(

You might be able to add a portable DAB tuner to a quality system, but I have no experience of how good/bad these are and again you're paying a premium for a lack of integration.

You may want to look at the radio forums over at www.digitalspy.co.uk where there are a few more DAB threads going.

4. Andy Donaldson

Andy Donaldson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello...

I treated myself last Friday and bought the Onkyo CS-220UK from John Lewis at Liverpool, it was £299.

I had looked around in Comet and all them but they all seemed a bit tinny. I wanted something that had a DAB tuner and played CD-R/RW and MP3.

I had never heard of Onkyo but the lad in John Lewis assured me it was a decent make despite not being too well known in the UK.

It sounded good in the shop, but when it was set up at home in the bedroom and I played a few discs I was very happy with my choice. It sounds excellent, DAB is excellent too, just need an outside aerial now cos I dont like the wire aerial dangling. I only wish the DAB tuner changed station a bit quicker, there's a delay between pressing the button and the station changing, but they all do that form the ones I had seen before.

Andy.

5. cookie2112

cookie2112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice one Andy,

How powerful is it ?? I like a bit of oomph now and then! Could it fill a large area okay ??

Rgds

6. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It's to do with number of posts, 20 (I think) and you become a "member" :lesson:

7. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,460
    For anyone considering the Teac route, their DAB add-on for the reference series hi-fi range is a penny under £80 at Richer Sounds.

I quite like the look of the Panasonic SC-EN9 but probably won't this time next year.

Mike.

8. Andy Donaldson

Andy Donaldson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cookie,

Its 30 Watts per channel. It fills the average size room ok but if I had a massive room i'd still go for the seperates set up like i have downstairs.

Incidentally, i for got to mention this, I was gonna buy it online but when the info printed out it only had 12 month guarentee yet in the shop it comes with 2 years parts and labour. I rang the online help at JL and they said its the standard guarantee and they won't do the price match like the shops either. So I cancelled it went to the shop instead!

Andy

9. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I also went looking in JL for a DAB CD tuner. Looked at both the Teac and the Onkyo. Both sounded very similar and were the same price.
    In the end I purchased the Teac as I already have a Teac CD/Tuner in my office and the sound is really good.
    JL cost me more than online, but this late in the day no chance for a delivery before Christmas! Also many online shops have sold out and no chance of any being delivered in the next few days.
    At the moment it is wrapped awaiting the 25th. More information after then.