MP3 and WMA from USB - does it exist?

crsmith

Hi

Have searched around but without any joy so far, so not sure if this exists, but does anyone know of a portable DAB radio that will play MP3 and WMA files from a USB stick? I am looking for something I can move around from the kitchen to the bedroom with a good external speaker. Dont want an MP3 player to dock or a micro system with CD player - just a plain old portable radio that will play MP3s and WMAs

Thanks

Craig

Last edited:

ProfessorYaffle

Well, you have a few options. Many internet radios offer a streaming option from a PC connected to your network, so if you have a wireless network this is one approach worth considering. You'll also have the added bonus of thousands of internet stations, FM, DAB and the Listen Again service from the BBC. I've got the Roberts Stream WM-202 (won it in a competition :smashin: ) and it'll set you back around £130 online. The build quality's not up to that of a Pure radio, but it was easy to set up and use.

The Pure Evoke Flow has a similar feature set and is about £120 - seems the user interface is perhaps more cumbersome but it's probably better in build quality and sound.

Your other option (should you not have wireless) is a radio that has an SD card slot. The excellent Pure Evoke-3 (which I also own - paid for this time!) is a great choice if you can meet the £145 price tag (if you shop around - try here).

The downside with the Evoke-3 only plays MP2/MP3 files from the SD card - not an issue if you convert/re-rip your WMA files first. The upside is the Evoke-3's build, sound quality, remote control and recording ability - the latter is very useful and flexible (20 timed events).

Some food for thought. hopefully...

chriswyatt

You can get SD to USB adaptors, which would almost be like having a memory stick you could use in the Evoke-3 and other devices as well, something to consider though a bit more fiddly as you have to keep taking the SD card in and out. My mum had a very nifty HP one that came with her laptop that I was quite jealous of.

crsmith

Your other option (should you not have wireless) is a radio that has an SD card slot. The excellent Pure Evoke-3 (which I also own - paid for this time!) is a great choice if you can meet the £145 price tag (if you shop around - try here).

Great advice Professor - much appreciated - I think I am leaning towards the Pure Evoke 3 but can I check if the SD card slot is limited to 2GB?

KJ Palmer

According to the FAQ on the Pure site (scroll down a bit), the Evoke 3 only takes up to 2GB SD cards. Maybe a firmware update will fix this, eg. allowing SDHC (HCSD :rolleyes:) cards. Or more likely the next Evoke model...?

ProfessorYaffle

The SD card is limited to 2GB according to Pure. Although SDHC (SD High Capacity) will definitely NOT work, I believe standard SD cards can go up to 4GB. Assuming this is true, it may be the block/sector size the Evoke-3 (and many other standard SD card devices) uses that presents the issue.

You could always split your music into genres for multiple cards (they're very cheap). Note the Evoke-3 also has a Aux In, so you can alternatively attach a cheap MP3 player to it (which would mean you could have the best of both worlds). The Sansa Fuze 8GB is a great little player for around £60.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom