Moza Air 2 Gimbal power supply?

OnTheBrinkEnt

Novice Member
It seems to me there is a port to power the Moza Air 2 gimbal via DC. I can clearly see the port, and the user manual even briefly mentions it in the beginning, but they do not provide any specs on that specific component. I have searched "Moza Air 2 power supply" online and have found various third-party DC supplies which can be switched to different outputs (or whatever), but I am concerned in that I do not want to fry my gimbal, so I need to know what the specific power input requirement is for the Moza Air 2 (which Gudsen does not seem to have online or in text anywhere). I need to film a music video on Sunday, so ideally I will order the power supply today on Amazon for two day delivery. And lastly, I know I can power the gimbal with batteries, and I have batteries, but I need the power supply cable as well, as I do not know that I have enough battery life to suffice (I power my BMPCC4K via the gimbal, so it doesn't last long). I may just end up buying more batteries for my camera instead. Not sure.

Tomandallthat

Novice Member
Hey! You’ve just described exactly what I’ve been looking into for a few months.
I’ve also found nothing official from Gudsen about powering the gimbal or anything, but I thought you’d benefit from this:
Provided the power supply you choose
1. Provides exactly the specified voltage in the manual
2. Provides enough or more than enough current specified in the manual, and
3. Has the right connector (to fit into the DC input connector)
It won’t fry your gimbal.

fundamentally, providing an incorrect voltage to the input will fry your kit.
if you provide too little current to the input, the voltage will be forced to change at the input and will fry your gimbal.
If you provide too much current, the risk is in hardware errors. Think of it like a fuse - it’s rated to protect you. If your gimbal is drawing too much current because of a fault that you might TOUCH - the power supply wouldn’t allow this to happen by having a maximum draw equal to the power the gimbal should be taking.
Basically, find yourself a power supply with the correct voltage and current ratings and you’re good to go.

12harry

Distinguished Member
I find it difficult to understand any manufacturer that makes a product with a DC connector port and doesn't specify the connector type and voltage/current spec. Often they will promote their own unit (expensive) as this increases profits and you are a captive audience...
If you get one of those mains plug-top PSU's, they often come with a range of connectors...you might find one that fits nicely -and- that might be good to use....but not certain.
Next you need to know if the centre connection (for DC coaxial), is + ,,or less usual, -ve.
Normally it's +. However, this puts your kit at risk, if wrong...

Can't you contact the supplier? It read as though they don't really know their own product - Since many folks will prefer to use an external supply ( e.g. belt-battery) for longer sessions. The flex can be in your sleeve, keeping it out of the way...

I have to ask.... why did you buy it without the power lead included?

Cheers.

Tomandallthat

Novice Member
Just the way it is - they don’t come with one. The battery is said to last 16 hours though.
Turns out a laptop charger does the trick. I picked up a variable voltage, max 4.5A supply from ebay with a range of adapters, including a 5.5mm. Only had it one day, but is working like a charm so far.

christomberlin

Novice Member
Just the way it is - they don’t come with one. The battery is said to last 16 hours though.
Turns out a laptop charger does the trick. I picked up a variable voltage, max 4.5A supply from ebay with a range of adapters, including a 5.5mm. Only had it one day, but is working like a charm so far.
Tom - I've been wanting to do something similar, but actually run the gimbal from a mounted v-brick battery that can run the gimbal, camera and external monitor. I THINK I have this working, but not 100% sure. It seems I need to have the gimbal batteries in for the power to complete the circuit. Have you found that to be the case or do you not need batteries in yours at all?

Tomandallthat

Novice Member
Hey Chris! Mine doesn't require batteries at all. I find it off balance without them though.
I leave the power supply on 15v. I believe (just through experience, after some initial math) that that's within the tolerance for the input.

Annoyingly, the DC input doesn't charge the batteries inside the gimbal - I believe it's a full bypass. I'll test it on session tomorrow, and report back if I'm mistaken!

dutchblakk

Novice Member
Hey Chris! Mine doesn't require batteries at all. I find it off balance without them though.
I leave the power supply on 15v. I believe (just through experience, after some initial math) that that's within the tolerance for the input.

Annoyingly, the DC input doesn't charge the batteries inside the gimbal - I believe it's a full bypass. I'll test it on session tomorrow, and report back if I'm mistaken!
Did you find out if it works?I have to keep my batteries in the gimbal so I can’t tell if its supplying power via dc input on the handle

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom