Moving Windows to new HDD

B

Big Jim

I am going to take advantage of the recent AMD price cuts to upgrade my pc (a Shuttle SN25) from a 3500+ to an X2 4400+ and add a bigger and faster hard drive than the current old 200Gb IDE drive.

The processor upgrade sould be pretty straight forward as I have the AMD dual core cpu driver and optimisers ready to go, and the BIOS updated.

The bit I need help with is the new hard drive. I have an Hitachi 7K500 500Gb hard drive ready to go in, but to take advantage of the increase in speed over the old one, I want to make the new drive the primary boot device and transfer windows etc over to it.

I really do not want to reinstall and start from scratch, so I am after some ideas for a nice clean transfer (I am running windows XP home with sp2 by the way). Have any of you done this before? How did you go about it?

Thanks,

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Norton Ghost is probably the most popular app, can run in DOS or Windows. There are several other apps on the market too - some HDDies provide free software with their drives, I have used a Western Digital one before - but would recommend Norton Ghost if you can get hold of a copy.

B

Big Jim

part 1 worked - I am writing this on a nice dual core machine now!

Thanks for the ghost suggestion, I had a feeling it would come down to using images. Do you have any ideas using free/trial software alternatives?

How would it work in practice? I guess it would be:
1. take image
2. remove old drive
3. add in sata drive
4. restore image
5. start windows and cross fingers

Would I need to set up the partitions to match on the SATA drive before restoring the images? Would windows cope with moving from an IDE drive to an SATA without losing it?

Thanks!

unique

Big Jim said:
part 1 worked - I am writing this on a nice dual core machine now!

Thanks for the ghost suggestion, I had a feeling it would come down to using images. Do you have any ideas using free/trial software alternatives?

How would it work in practice? I guess it would be:
1. take image
2. remove old drive
3. add in sata drive
4. restore image
5. start windows and cross fingers

Would I need to set up the partitions to match on the SATA drive before restoring the images? Would windows cope with moving from an IDE drive to an SATA without losing it?

Thanks!
you can plug both drives in at the same time with ghost (i think its version 8 or 9 thats best, rather than the 2003etc versions, as the older comes out of windows to DOS to make the image, the new version isn't as good, but the new version comes with the older software when you buy it), and just set it up and go, much easier than making image discs and restoring

you can take any drive thats smaller and transfer to the new bigger drive, so if you want 1 partition only and have the 200gig drive thats 1 partition expanded and swapped to the 500gig drive you can do. or you can make a couple of partitions on the new drive, as long as one of them is at least the same size as the drive/partition you want to clone, so you can make a 200gig partition and a 300gig partition if you want. personally i prefer keeping a smallish/reasonably sized partition for the OS/apps and making a bigger partition for the data, as it's easier to defrag the drive that way, and keep less fragmented

windows wont care if its sata or pata (ide)

btw, if you google around you should find some good guides to norton ghost that are very helpful, along with the pro's and cons of the various versions of ghost