Moving VM router

sweeneyuk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I wondered if I can ask some advice?

I need to move the router on my parents network.

They have the brown drop box with a 2way splitter on the outside.
  1. cable runs all the way around to the back to feed the router.
  2. Pokes through wall into isolator on inside where it feeds the TiVo box.
I need to move the router to tv location which is right next to the isolator (inside) and the drop box immediately the other side of the wall (outside).

Rather than drill another hole then feed through the cable to the router I just moved the splitter to the inside before feeding it to the TiVo via the isolator and the other outlet to the modem.
Also thought it would be better than adding another splitter inside which would be a 2nd splitter when I only need the 1.

All works fine but don't want to be caught out by VM.

I have used VM ppc compression connectors but because the isolator box was immediately inside I have had to remove the cover, the splitter and isolator are now loose on the floor behind the TiVo & TV which obviously looks bad and exposes I have tampered with it.

I have a few questions if you'd be so kind.

1. Does the splitter have to stay in the brown drop box outside?
  2. Does the isolator only protect the TiVo?
  3. The splitter has 4db & 3.6db, what is best for TiVo/ modem?
  4. The modem cable has white shrink wrap cover over some connections, what is that about?
  5. The modem cable has a chunky black f connector, much bigger than the PPC rg6 compression connectors, should I use these on The TiVo cable too? If yes what are they called?
  6. What do you recommend I do with this set up?
If you do answer these it will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Sweeney

It looks like the modem cable might have an inline isolator in it. If the shrink wrapped bit is fatter. Isolators need to be on every bit of kit. It would depend on the return power of each bit of kit as to which side of the splitter you would use for each one but .4 of a db isn't worth worrying about.

The less splitters the best and if you dont need one dont use one. If would also lead to an open port unless you has a screw on cap for the open port. Open ports lead to noise ingress. More splitters add more return power and less down power.

An install should have been set up with the correct levels. But with an inline isolator that could mean it was a customer inststall as online isolators are sent out with kit to customers. Techs do have them now as sometimes you can't get to the isolator cover to check for one or if the install has been covered up or under the floor etc. Just means a tech can fit one onto the kit so they know that it's covered by one.

Can the isolator be put before the splitter?
Would VM ever put the isolator in the brown exterior drop box?
I could them put the splitter inside the white interior VM box on wall behind my tv if so.

How would VM tech have moved my router from rear to front?
Would they have just used a second splitter on coax from tv wall box?
would they have drilled a second hole for 2nd cable from splitter?
Or would they have just moved the splitter inside like I have done?

Really want to tidy it up and cover my work from VM.
Many thanks for help.

For what you want now, no splitter in brown box, isolator in white box then bit of cable to splitter then a feed to router and one to the tivo.

So it's okay to have nothing inside the brown exterior drop box, just the cable running straight into the house?

The splitter will sit loose behind tv, is that OK with VM?

If isolator is before the splitter is it still okay to use VM supplied modem cable, the one with White heat shrink over poss inline isolator? 2 isolators are okay or a no no?

Thanks for help.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom