Moving TV from Northern Hemishere to Southern Hemisphere

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by rob5068, Aug 17, 2002.

1. rob5068

rob5068

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony Trinitron that I moved from US to Australia. Apparently, I need two conversions: 1. NTSC to PAL format and 2. A method to bring the magnetic field of Southern hemispere into sync with TV design-picture appears to need degaussing, but the cause is the reversed magnetic field in this hemishere.

Does anyone have experience with this problem?

Rob

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Although I have no experience of this myself, I'm not surprised with the problems you are experiencing. CRTs are always set-up in the factory for a particular global region. By all means try degaussing... but I doubt if you'll ever achieve total satisfaction. Aside from the NTSC to PAL conversion, is there a voltage difference in Oz to contend with too??

Standard advice is to always buy a TV in the market where you intend to use it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

3. kiwiranger

kiwiranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bad idea all round. Anything bigger that 14-20" and you have visable problems. I took my Sony 14" back to NZ from Pom-land. I should have saved the luggage space. Picture was acceptable, but sound formats and reception range was horrible.

Also, you're going to need a transformer too, to get from stateside 110 to Aussie 240.

What was so good about this telly that you had to bring it with you?

Chris 'kiwiranger' Parke