1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to UK - will my Samsung DLP work?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by animalmom, Aug 2, 2005.

1. animalmom

animalmom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    please be gentle :)

Moving to London, have a 2004 Samsung 50 inch DLP. Plan on getting SKY - will it display the UK signal ?

Is there a workaround if no?

If no anyone want to buy cheap :) j/k.

Thanks for your input on this no doubt silly question.

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    From where........which country?

Yes, if fed in through an external connector such as scart socket.

3. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where are you coming from, Australia, America, the newly discovered tenth planet ?? Just as long as it ain't France (spit).

4. animalmom

animalmom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    damned USA arrogance.

Sorry, USA.

I promise I won't be the ugly American when i arrive.

5. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ohh go on, a Dubya swager, a spit to your side (followed by a 'ping'), a yeeehhhhhhaaaawwwww and then stubbing out your Cuban with your cowboy boots, that's an American entrance :thumbsup:

6. animalmom

animalmom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha,

Well i hope not to be so initially obtrusive. But if the aforementioned TV will work can you provide me with the details on what I need to do make it work?

it's rather large and they charge for it :)

Additionally I have a denon 7.1 system, am i out of luck for that?

Currently I have directv into the denon into the tv and utilise <----- brit way :)
    surround sound.

Or will I have to buy a UK sound unit?

terribly confused, verbose help requested.

What might a scart socket be?

7. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know the equipment specifically but I'm guessing you don't have a scart on the tv which is quite essential until Sky HD comes out, does it do 50 Hertz ? Are they 240V compatible ?
    Personally I would sell them all and buy new once your here, but it's up to you. :rolleyes:

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    To many issues. Not worth the hassle. 50/60hz (PAL) and 240v

9. animalmom

animalmom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh so no?

There's no easy way to do it?

it has svideo, dvi, component etc.

10. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    It might be possible.

First of all, power. Look in the manual for the TV and tell us what the power requirements are. It needs to support 220v 50hz to work here in the UK without additional equipment. If it doesn't, you'll need to buy a stepdown transformer. Keene Electronics www.keene.co.uk can assist you in finding one that's suitable.

Secondly, don't worry about what's been said about the SCART socket. SCART is an annoying European video/audio connector. However, I've heard that certain Sky set top boxes can output S-Video over the regular S-Video jack, or failing that, standard Composite video (not too pretty to look at). With a very cheap (about $6 or so) SCART to RCA adapter, you could get the video into the TV that way.

However, the TV will have to support PAL video. An expensive set like this hopefully will. Do you have a digital camera with a Video Out function, or know someone who does? Connect that up to the TV and go into the camera's menu. Set it to output PAL video instead of NTSC. Do you still get a colour picture on the screen?

If not, you will have to buy a PAL to NTSC standards converter. Sadly these don't often give very good results. At that point I would give up and sell up and buy another when you get here.

11. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the power issue this will do the trick http://www.tait-components.com/Prod...e=657550&product_class=Power+Supplies&iPage=1

It only consumes 200 w so this will be fine.

As for the video side it has component and it does have 3 s-video connections,Sky+ will output to this. Composite video is a last resort on a tv like this so dont even consider it.Scart to composite adapters are used for camcorders etc so it will give poor results.Scart (peritel) is a french idea, so enough said :mad:

It also has HDMI and DVI so you have plenty of connections to play with.

The tuner onboard is ntsc, so useless in the UK, if your using Sky not an issue (if) the set displays PAL.

Given all these facts i would put it on Ebay and buy a new set when you land in the UK :)

12. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, but it makes life easier at the moment.

13. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    Now that all depends on exactly what you want from your equipment. SCART denies any flexibility - for example to take a picture output to a monitor and an audio output to an amplifier. So - yes - but only for what someone else has called "average joe".
    87.3% (*) of all cabling difficulties arise exclusively from the prominence of SCART (to the exclusion of other connectors) in domestic equipment.

Sorry............ :offtopic:

(*) 93.4 % of statistics are invented on the spur of the moment.

14. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I'm just really annoyed to see it popping up so much on high end equipment. Now that stuff comes with built in digital decoders, I have no need for 1 SCART socket - let alone 3. I could understand manufacturers leaving one one, but the fact that it's often at the expensive of better Component inputs really annoys me.