• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Moving to the USA...what should I do with my AV?

sjclark74

Standard Member
Been a while since I last posted as I've been very happy with the performance of my Panasonic plasma TH37PV500 and DMR EH60D PVR and a Yamaha V2600 amp downstairs and a Panasonic LCD TX26LXD70 in my bedroom but I'm moving from the UK to USA in January for the next three years...bye bye :hiya: UK

So, here's my question....what should I do with my AV?

Will the TVs and PVR work in the US PAL vs NTSC? I know the Freeview won't but I will have cable in the US.

I know the voltage is different but I would get a voltage converter from a site like this Voltage Converters - Voltage Transformers and Converter

The value of what I could sell it for versus what bought it for 3-4 years ago is nothing but it works fine. I don't want to re-purchase in the US only to be faced with the same issue coming back to the UK with US AV kit in 3 years time :(

Any thoughts, comments or recommedations....Cheers Simon

gary99129

Your PVR is probably of no use in the USA as they use a different tuner system to us. Most cable companies allow you to rent a PVR from them, failing that get a TiVO.

Your TV may be of use as a display, as long as it supports 60Hz. However you won't be able to receive over the air broadcasts.

Your Amp will work fine as long as you can get around the electrical problem. However you might be better off selling it here and then buying one while in the States, things are cheaper over there anyway and you can offset the cost of shipping it transatlantic.

If it were me, I'd sell the equipment you mention and buy new stuff over there. It's just not worth the hassle of sending it transatlantic and trying to get it to work.

Last edited:

enfant_teribl

You can get some of the equipment's voltage changed too. I had all my Meridian gear switched over to 110 Volts at the factory when I went back to Canada (and I had an old power amp switched for me by Bryston - for free! They even bench tested it out of interest - i hadn't asked them to). I think Meridian charged £90 (quite few years ago - would be more now, I am sure)

That would solve your power issues, but as for how the TV would work, I will leave that to someone else!

kevshed

I agree with Gary - best thing would probably be to sell on.... If you had very expensive get - like the above poster, then its worth exploring.

Kev

Michael

If you decide to sell, I'd be very interested in the DMR EH60D:D
Any ideas how much you would be asking for?

petet66

By the time you've paid a fortune for shipping, waited weeks for it to arrive, found out it got damaged en route, battled with insurers... I'd sell and buy new in the US :)

pannyfanny

Can't agree more with the people who recommend you sell and buy again.
I've been to the states loads of times on business working for EMC, mostly Boston and the kit over there is dirt cheap.

Enjoy buying all the new goodies!

How come you are moving? Have you got your 10 gallon hat so that you'll blend right in straight away?

I was faced with the same situation but it never panned out..

sjclark74

Standard Member
Thanks for all the replies and advice :thumbsup:!

I'm moving to New Jersey so no 10 gallon hat for me. My company is paying for all the shipping and insurance...having a 40' container placed outside my house for a few days to load. Shipping to the US is 10 to 14 days...the delay will be with US customs if they audit.

My biggest concern is that in 3 years I will be coming back to the UK (or that is the plan at the moment) and if I buy loads of AV in the US I will be same position but vice versa. I always try to buy the best at the time and use it until it does work or isn't supported.

The other alternative I have is to get the company to store all my AV except the amp and use it when I return.

Michael...I'll let you know if I'm selling up.

I'll give Panasonic a call tomorrow and get their advice and let you know what I'm going to do....Cheers Simon

enfant_teribl

Thanks for all the replies and advice :thumbsup:!

I'm moving to New Jersey so no 10 gallon hat for me. My company is paying for all the shipping and insurance...having a 40' container placed outside my house for a few days to load. Shipping to the US is 10 to 14 days...the delay will be with US customs if they audit.

My biggest concern is that in 3 years I will be coming back to the UK (or that is the plan at the moment) and if I buy loads of AV in the US I will be same position but vice versa. I always try to buy the best at the time and use it until it does work or isn't supported.

The other alternative I have is to get the company to store all my AV except the amp and use it when I return.

Michael...I'll let you know if I'm selling up.

I'll give Panasonic a call tomorrow and get their advice and let you know what I'm going to do....Cheers Simon

I'd be interested to hear what Panasonic says. I am in the market for a plasma, and am in the UK again, though probably going back to Canada in a year or two.

NJ has some nice parts - it doesn't have a reputation as a pretty place, but some of it is very nice (around Princeton for instance). Quite a lot of deer in the countryside, which sort of defies the image created by the Sopranos!

Btw, the shipping costs for my audio stuff was negligible when considering how much the total shipment was. It was all buried in the boxes with my other things.

Like some of the other comments above say however, there is a lot of interesting kit over there that costs a bundle here (especially on the audio front), so you can buy some great stuff for not too much money. I'd say the TV is the most difficult aspect. Over there, the G10 is THX certified, so in some respects the equivalent of the V10 here, and can be had for $1100/£675 :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom