Moving to sky bb...help needed...

Discussion in 'Sky Broadband' started by hissingdwarf, Jan 6, 2012.

1. hissingdwarf

hissingdwarf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.
    I am currently on VM 50 Mb service, but am so fed up with the inconsistent superhub and speed drag I am moving to sky for the phone and bb.
    Just a few questions if you wouldn't mind please guys...

1. My main (old) BT line came in downstairs in the front room. Now if I connect the router there I will be able to use the anytime + with the ethernet connection, but...
    My cpu and xbox sit upstairs in the office on the opp side of the house. (these are currently hardwired.) Is there a way of connecting these to another sort of port or other router and still have them hardwired?

2. Assuming an answer of no I do have an old phone connection upstairs in another room so I will run a connection phone ext kit to it. This way the hardwired stuff gets plugged in, but then I wont get the anytime + stuff downstairs? Any other ways I am missing of doing this as I cant see a ethernet running on the outside wall from one side to the other! I do have my own old wireless router. Can this be used in anyway to make the whole thing work?

Cheers all

Chris M.

2. lowmans100

lowmans100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    You can use homeplugs.

3. Luteus

Luteus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
  4. hissingdwarf

hissingdwarf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so if i understand this correctly...
    Plug the sky modem downstairs into the bt socket as planned and ethernet to sky box.
    ethernet to home plug? and then ethernet to cpu. Another set for the xbox and another set for the other cpu upstairs?

Could they be connected to another router upstairs and then all 3 items can run happily on lan from 1 set of plugs??? Just thinking of the cost thats all.
    Seems a shame that I can't use the spare router upstairs and the sky one downstairs and everyones a winner!!!

Thanks for replies so far.

5. lowmans100

lowmans100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    You can get 4 port homeplugs.

I am not sure if your VM cable modem can be used as a switch, you may have to do a bit of 'Googling'.

6. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    1. You are on the right line but it should not be a router but an Ethernet Switch. However see 2.

2. See the "using two routers" FAQ on converting a router into an Ethernet switch.