1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

moving to oz

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by neilios, Jul 19, 2005.

1. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,344
    Anyone have any advice that may be helpful
    TIA

2. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Where in oz?

3. Pommy

Pommy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Save up as much as you can as you will spend money like water to begin with, been here 18mhs now and love it (melbourne)

Graham

4. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Yep - never test the depth of water with both feet.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    Never met an aussie I liked ...they're worse than yanks.

6. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,344
    Im currently looking into moving over there with the family eg missus and daughter .
    Apparently i may qualify for a skilled visa being a plumber ,and under 45yrs .

Hehe we had 5 aussies working at my last company and they seemed ok to me ,they can be a bit dry ,no worse than most yorkshiremen .Give em a few stella,s and they soon come round .

The missus would like to go somewhere in queensland maybe rockhampton,brisbane ,im not really bothered id go were the work is .

7. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Lots of stereotypical aussies there. And hot hot hot!

Cheap property tho.

RDB :)

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    Was drinking in a central London pub once with my mates when some rather loud Australians who had previously been talking about their ganja smoking exploits butted into our conversation.

We were amicable about it but after a few overly sarcastic comments from them I'd had about enough. After boring us with what they had been up to in the last few weeks and how much money they had earned from illegally working in bars and clubs they got around to asking us what we did.

I immediately responded that we all worked for the customs department at Heathrow airport pointed to one of my friends ( a rather large black guy) and told them we were celebrating his shattering of the airport record for apprehending smugglers of contraband at customs control.

What followed was a conversation disclosing how he had an uncanny 6th sense about spotting people carrying even the smallest amount of contraband and indeed that very month he had made a massive bust which had been covered on the previous weeks episode of "airport " ( one of the Aussies even confirmed he'd seen it!) and how my mate was legendary in the customs office for having " the biggest hands in the business meaning he had to have his rubber gloves specially made").

I asked them when they were leaving the UK as we might bump into them at Heathrow.
    They were conspicuously quiet after that and said their goodbyes a few minutes later.

9. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    If you're just now looking into going through the skilled migration route, current time for processing is about 10-14 months, so you've got plenty of time for planning. It used to be able to be processed by London, but now it's Adelaide.

Bear in mind the costs of applying for the visa alone are close to £1,000, and it's non refundable.

The DIMA site is worthwhile reading up, and check the newsgroups on usenet as well.

Personally, think i'm going to go to NZ first. Can get a fastracked visa in about a week, and from them it's only five years until full citizenship is available, which also allows working and living in oz.