Moving to Manchester! HELP

Teresa Oliveira

Novice Member
Reaction score
So, I'm in Portugal at the moment but got a job offer to move to Manchester. I'd be working beside Manchester airport so I need to rent an apartment!... in the next two weeks!

I need a good public transport service, as I'm not going to have a car for a while.

Can you help me?? Which towns should I look at? Don't want to spend more than 450pcm, for a 1 bedroom apt.

Thank youuu!

You're very lucky! I would love to move to Manchester if I could! Nearby locations to consider are Altrincham, Stockport and Wilmslow. All have good bus/rail links to Manchester Airport. Other locations like Crewe, Nantwich, Macclesfield are slightly further away but still have excellent transport links to the area.

You're very lucky! I would love to move to Manchester if I could! Nearby locations to consider are Altrincham, Stockport and Wilmslow. All have good bus/rail links to Manchester Airport. Other locations like Crewe, Nantwich, Macclesfield are slightly further away but still have excellent transport links to the area.

Thank you :)))

LOL it is stressful. I have to sort everything out way too fast. Then I'll pay a monthly ticket for the train, the bus or whatever! I'm way more stressed about the house.

Didsbury/Chortlon are nice areas - great transport links and easy commute to Airport.
Lots to consider right now I imagine, good luck with the move!

Maybe try a premier inn or something for the first week until you get yourself on your feet. Some rooms are £29 a night which is basically double what you want long-term, but will at least give you some breathing space. Don't forget you will need a deposit when you rent.

East Manchester is easy to get to via the new tram line. Somewhere like Audenshaw or Ashton. Not the prettiest place on the planet, but convenient and should be at the cheaper end of your budget.

Try this site to get an idea of costs:
Zoopla > Search Property to Buy, Rent, House Prices, Estate Agents

Last edited:
If you're working beside the airport then you'd best off in Heald Green or Gatley. You do have Wythenshawe which is where the airport is but, without offending the Wythie's, it's not the greatest area.

If your budget is only £450, you can discount most of the areas being put forward. Didsbury, Wilmslow, Cheadle/Cheadle Hulme, Bramhall, Altrincham will cost you more than £450 for an apartment unless it's a complete dump or above a chippy. To give you some idea, I rent out a couple of apartments in Cheadle Hulme (2 bed and 3 bed) and they are £750 and £850pm respectively and they are nothing special.

Also you don't want to go too far or your money will be swallowed up with commute. Gatley and Heald Green are virtually next door to the airport and are decent areas but there is also Handforth (between Heald Green and Wilmslow) which is cheaper and Sharston (on the edge of Wythenshawe), which is slightly further out but is quite nice as it's had massive redevelopment. A little further out than Sharston is Northenden which usually has cheap property rentals - check rightmove.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom