1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to LCD - what components are required?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Undecided, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Undecided

Undecided

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Our current television is on the way out and my wife insists on an LCD television replacement. This has NOTHING to do with any benefits/capabilities of LCD or Plasma; it has everything to do with the enormous bulk of widescreen CRT TVs which she will not consider. Our current set up is :

28 inch CRT TV
    Video Recorder
    DVD player available via hi fi system

This allows us to :
    - Watch TV (analogue– we do not have digital at the moment and do not have, and will never have, Sky)
    - Record TV for later watching
    - Record one channel while watching another.
    - Play back DVDs (rare requirement – perhaps half a dozen per annum)
    - Occasionally display photos on it using the yellow video input

We never play games on it (and never will) and we do not use it as a PC monitor (and will never want to)

Trawling round the shops we had pretty much decided on a Panasonic TX32LXD50, but now that the TX32LXD500 is available, we’ll probably go with that. We want to continue to be able to do what we can do now very easily – namely record one channel while watching another. I do NOT want to pay all this money for an LCD TV only to find that I can only record analogue TV if I’m watching digital. (Why in heaven’s name is it so difficult to do this with digital?).
    The person sitting nearest the LCD will be about 12 feet away; the other one will be about 15 feet away.

The question is, if we go with this LCD TV, what set up do we need to provide the same capabilities as we now have? Thoughts I have had, to which I do not know the answers are :

Am I going to need an additional Freeview box as well as the built in decoder in order to record digital while watching digital? If so, how do I cable it up? Split the aerial feed and feed one to each box or something easier/more subtle?

The video recorder obviously has to go. What should I replace it with? Freeview box with built in hard disc, DVD recorder etc? The fact that we already have a DVD should not influence this decision; It’s a Denon DVD-F100, part of their AV-F100 stack which was sold to us as a stack which would play CDs (it does, but poorly and noisily) and DVDs. It’s hooked up via S-Video – I’m not sure if that’s as good as it can do or whether it’s restricted by the TV inputs.
    It seems only sensible that, if I’m going to get an HDMI input on the TV, any Hard Disc/DVD recorder replacement should provide this output. Is there such a beast?

If there is a beast like this, will it allow me to feed the aerial signal into it and take the output into the LCD without losing quality? (which is how the VCR is cabled up at the moment)

What’s a digital aerial (mentioned in other postings in this forum) and will we need one?

Anything else I should be worrying about?

Sorry this posting is so long; exactly why buying a new TV has to be so complicated I can’t imagine. Please make any answers one syllable; I do not understand smear, oiliness, tearing, lag, or any other terms that so bother the experts on this forum.

Thanks in anticipation,
    Undecided.

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    you could just stick with what you've got. That'll let you record analog while watching analog or digital on your TV (aerial into video, out of video into TV)

If you want to go digital, then all you need is one freeview box. Aerial into freeview box, out of freeview box into TV. For recording, just connect your VCR (or DVD recorder if preferred) to the SCART of the freeview box.

3. Undecided

Undecided

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard
    Thanks for your reply. Sorry to be thick, but I still don't understand completely. The Panasonic TX32LXD500 has a built in Freeview decoder so taking a feed from a VCR/DVD into the TV doesn't seem the right thing to do. Won't this degrade the signal before it gets to the TV? That's why I was asking if I had to get another Freeview box (to record one digital channel while watching another)
    Undecided

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    for your watching, you have the freeview tuner in the TV. For recording, you have your separate freeview box attached to your VCR or DVD recorder.

You need to feed both with an aerial lead, so you either go into the TV, then out to your 2nd freeview box, or into your freeview box and out to your TV. Both will have passthroughs for your aerial, and it won't affect your signal.