1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to House with dish

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by skelly123, Aug 15, 2002.

1. skelly123

skelly123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies in advance as I bet this question has been asked before (i Have had a look but haven't found it yet!

I have just moved house and the new house has a SKY Digital dish on it, I would like to have SKY TV, so is it possible to get a SKY digital receiver (i.e. 2nd hand) and plug it in?

I don't necessarily want all the bells and whistles but having digital FTV channels would be nice (the digitial aerial signal is not good in my area so the 'buy a pace box from dixons' solution doesn't apply!)
    I will tho' probably want to get the footie next season so no doubt I will have to get a SKY subscription at some stage.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Ta

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Just buy a used or new digibox from any source and get a FTV smartcard free of charge from the BBC.
    Plug it into the dish and if the dish is operating correctly then you will get all the FTA and FTV channels (SKY news, BBC channels, ITV1, ch4, ch5 etc).

At a later date if you decide you want to subscibe to SKY then you will still qualify for a "free" digibox and subsidised installation.

3. Salem Doom

Salem Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear oh my , you want two sky (s)

Well, you can either go for a move of box, which sky charge you for. Sign up as a new customer, which sky charge you for, lol.

As for secondary subscription, and or box, this is an interesting one. You can get a second sky box, but would need to buy a second subscription (and pay for second box), or if it is simpily you want to watch sky upstairs, get /ask for a tv link (a fraction of 2nd box price) The best method I found was, get SKY plus!

A marvel in its own right, (sky plus) record one station while watching another, but doesnt really sort out that other channel upstairs buisness, again, the only way to do that with SKY is to have another box, and a ''discounted'' subscription, how does Murdoch sleep at night?? ;)
    :D :eek: :p

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ....must get my eyes tested :eek: .

5. Salem Doom

Salem Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont unerstand ! (or did you just bump!? A technical term used in thesse forums ) :rolleyes:

6. skelly123

skelly123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Salem Doom,
    I think you may have misunderstood my original question, I don't want two sky(s), one dish is enough thanks :D
    There is a dish on my new house but no receiver as yet, the previous owner must have took that with them, but I want to use the dish currently stuck up on the wall, and being a bit stingy (and skint after all the moving costs :( ) I'm trying to get Digital channels at reasonable cost initially.

So, guys
    When I do decide to go for SKY proper, i.e. subscription, does that mean when I subscribe that SKY will plonk ANOTHER dish and reciever on my house, or will I be able to get a card on it's own, or is it better to have a new dish and receiver anyhow as it's 'free'?

7. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personaly would go through sky . The price people tend to ask for second hand boxes can be a bit silly. If you are thinking of getting sky in the near future. it may end up being cheeper to go through sky will the basic package, then upgrade in a few months when and if you want sport .This way you would have a 12 month garratee aswell .

The other thing is just becouse there is a dish there dos'nt meen that it is positioned right ( I know somone that moved there dish when they moved just to be funny). You could end up having to have the installers out anyway

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

Pardon me for saying, but I find your century gothic font hard to read in comparison with others, perhaps it's me :cool: .

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm sticking with default :cool:

10. Mikey K

Mikey K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been through a similar thing and did a fair bit of homework. Bearing in mind the limitations of Sky's installation and free digibox offer (they tell you what is convenient for them!). I just bought a Grundig GDS2000 ex contract box for £90 (because it is reckoned to be one of the quicker ones and has s-video out). You can get a free to air card FOC from the BBC. I also bought an 80cm disch so I can get Eutel at a later date with another LNB added (or a second sky deal for movies & sport?). You do not need the dish and will not have the hassle of aligning it, though you may need to sort the cable out

I am using the above as a "TV tuner" for my plasma and AV amp set up.

Check out ebay.co.uk for new and used digiboxes with or with out FTA cards. Or try digiboxes.net and satcure.com. Satcure does a great ebook on understanding and installing sat. it also tells you how to get your FTA card and what to do to get the maximum number of FTA channels!

Hope this helps.