1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to Germany and Sky

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Monty Burns, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hi guys

Im gona be moving to Germany for six months and i really wana be able to still use my modded Sky+ box. Now the first question, can you see the Astra satelite from middle Germany? Secondly, I will be in rented accomodation and so unable to put up a dish on the outside of the building, are there any "portable" dishes that can be sat in a window facing the right direction?

Cheers for any help!

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You can see the Astra satellite from Germany, but some channels will not be quite so strong (notably the BBC ones, which have a "tighter footprint" on the UK). You should be OK with a 60cm dish, but you're unlikely to have much success with it behind glass, since glass attenuates microwave signals, and the effect will be the same as having a dish that's too small.

3. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Right o'

Cheers for the info Nick.

Well, the more i delve into property rental in Deutchland the more I see that have Satelite tv. A German friend here at work confirmed that the majority of Sat tv there uses Astra.

Problem solved? I guess I just take my Sky box over there and continue using it when plugged into there dishes.

Now, the *bonus* would be to be able to use Sky+ as well. Is this a case of a "cable" splitter for it or, dare I say it, is it more complex than that to get the two channels?

4. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    The majority of apartments have a dish pointing at Astra-1. You need Astra-2.

You can't use a "splitter".

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Buy a multi-output LNB on ebay for ~£20. You can buy a dish in Germany and bolt the LNB to it. I dare say that there's lots of satellite installers out there who will be only too happy to take your Euros to put in a Sky dish.

6. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Cheers guys.

Are the Astra satelites compatible with each other (with respect to the dish). I.e. A dish pointed at 1, can it be re-pointed to 2?

As mentioned. I will be renting so im unable to just put on a new dish. :thumbsdow

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    All dishes are virtually the same. The LNB's (the bit in the centre that picks up the signal) can vary a bit, as can the size of the dish. I'm sure that there will already be quite a few ex-pats that can give you all the info you need.

8. uk_jih

uk_jih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As a resident of Germany, I can tell you that an 80CM dish is the minimum that you could use and the further south you go, the larger dish you need.

Most Germany Satellite users are pointing to a different satellite so to pick up English Sky you will need a separate dish.

9. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139

Thanks Nick.

Er Jih, i realise this but what I would like to know is: Are the Astra satelites in roughly the same part of the sky. Can i just re-align the dish from one to the other and leave the dish on the same wall?

10. jonnymatt

jonnymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But I live in Germany and currently use the small oval dish without problems ??

11. uk_jih

uk_jih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Jonnymatt, if you are up north then that is OK, as you go south the dish size required gets larger and larger, I am near Munich and I have a 1 metre dish with a 0.3DB Low-noise LNB, and sometimes that is not big enough.

Monty Burns, It is possible to change the direction of the satellite dish as long as no one else is using it and it has a digital LNB.

12. jonnymatt

jonnymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in Koblenz which is half way so I guess I'm ok.

13. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Thanks guys

I will be in Nuernberg (fairly south'ish I believe) so I may need to get somewhere with a larger dish.

On the other side of the story, I work for Siemens (full of Germans) and some of the guys here have said that its German law that all foreigners are allowed to put up a dish on the side of rented property. And apparently, there's not a damn thing the landlord can do about it!

Anyone confirm this rumour? If its true then my troubles are over!

14. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    uk jih

what about Scottish Sky :rotfl: (or Welsh or NI even)

Monty

I picked up Sky (British :D ) in Tuscany no probs

15. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Kewl!

However, that does not answer the question. :)

Astra 1 may be west of Wales and Astra 2 maybe west of London .... so is the diference "that" great in space? I may have a building that points to 1 (just) and I may need to re-align to sat 2, what im trying to establish is the odds of a wall (dish) pointing the wrong way and me having to move walls for the dish. For all i know, the satelites are 10 feet away from each other! :D

Cheers

(I obviously know nothing of these satelites and the above is an example)

16. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Is 28 degrees east the same as 19 degrees east?
    Do you have a compass?
    Do you have a cheap SatFinder meter at under ~£20?
    Is the grass greener in Germany?

Answers on a postcard please to:

Nimby ;)

17. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I don't have a compass, I can get a cheap sat finder and I have no idea about the grass.

Much like 28 degrees east and the 19 degrees does not tell me if this is 10 feet or 10,000 miles between the two.

18. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Moving the dish approximately 9 degrees east and down a bit will get it somewhere near to Astra-2. Find the true position with a cheap satfinder meter then finalise the alignment of the dish and the LNB by observing the Sky Digibox "signal quality" indication on-screen.

19. uk_jih

uk_jih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    When I say english sky I am referring to the fact the 90% of the content is in English :) rather than in German or French or anything else :boring:

The comment about the satellite law in Germany is true but I have never had to enforce it.

28 degrees east and 19 degrees east are different clusters of satellites in the sky.

For Sky (English, British) it is 28 degrees east (of south I think) and for Sky (German) it is 19 degrees east (of south I think).

Look for where the sun is at about 11:30 CET, that is roughly the direction for English (British) sky.

20. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Sam/Jih

Many thanks! for the answers. The info is spot-on.

I really like the fact that the law I was told about appears to be true as well! I would feel kind of ebil putting a dish up for six months but, hey, I will be paying a fortune for a penthouse/ultra luxury flat so I think I deserve the last little luxury. (Assuming the flats dish is not already good enough)

Cheers guys!
    :D

21. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Dishes are rather like telescopes. The bigger the dish, the more precise it is. Imagine trying to look at the moon with a pair of low-magnification binoculars - you will find the moon very easily. Now try to do it with a high-magnification telescope, and you will find it much harder. Small dishes are easier to align because their acceptance angle is much wider, but that does cause a problem too, because the acceptance angle of a small dish is not much less than the angle between adjacent satellites, and if you are not "spot-on" you can receive interference from the adjacent satellite.

22. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Just pressing the edge of a large dish with your finger will easily remove the signal completely. The larger the dish the greater the wind effects. So these need to be incredibly strongly mounted in gales and storms.

Having a Satellite Finder meter is absolutely essential for larger dishes due to the required pointing accuracy. I have repeatedly pointed my various dishes in just a few seconds using the meter. It's just so easy in comparison with having a TV monitor and receiver beside the dish you wouldn't believe it. At under £20 quid for a meter I really think you'd be an idiot to try without one.

Nimby

23. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Guys,

a BIG thank you for all your inputs and responses. Thanks to you guys, today, FINALY I have Sky+ up and running on the Sky World setup

:clap: :clap: :clap:

And I was soooo enjoying CNN and MTV (German!) ... Not!

As expected, the 100cm dish is HUGE and the BBC channels are a bit iffy but, other than that, full signal strength and 80%? quality ... so everything else appears to be solid!

Again guys, thanks... I shall enjoy that beer i raise in your honour watching the rugby on Sky Sports!

24. madhouse

madhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Bawtry nr. Doncaster / Wiesbaden (Germany)
    Ratings:
    +72

Hiya,

am also a Brit living in Germany - but been here a bit longer as I grew up here - moved over when I was 9 - am now 33, so..

Anyway - just for info - although by law you are entitled to something they call 'freedom of information' blabla, the landlords are not forced to accept their tenants putting dishes up as they please. You should see some of the buildings in the Turkish areas here in Wiesbaden - some have around 15 dishes on the outside - what an eyesore. A landlord can usually turn down sat installation as well if there is a channel available on cable TV in your language. And the cable network have caught on,too. They now have at least one French, Czech, Russian, Maroccan etc. And cable TV here in Wiesbaden is around 23 EUROS / month. So no way for me!
    Luckily when I have moved flats I have stated up front that I'd like to install a satellite system, always been quick to say I would use a professional to do so and it hasn't been a problem. Especially as without actually saying out it loud it was made obvious that I wouldn't take the flat if I can't have satellite :eek:) - and who would turn down a decent Brit like me as a tenant? :eek:) - Sheepishly I now admit that I wouldn't rent a place that won't allow me my satellite and in the meantime where I can't get a minimum 3Meg DSL line in either.
    In the last 2 flats I preferred installation on the roof, as it is out of the way and can usually be attached to existing aerial poles, so here also no probs with the landlord :eek:) Plus better reception!

Congrats on getting everything installed anyway, so enjoy!

Anyhow - have fun in Germany - it's not a bad country to live in - all of my family that have visited over the years have really enjoyed it.

Cheers,
    Simon
    Wiesbaden

25. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Simon

I wonder if you've ever seen the figures for wind loading on satellite dishes?

I'd be loath to put a large dish anywhere on a building. You should see the concrete bars stacked on top of my heavy cast-iron stand for my 125cm dish at ground level despite being hidden from the prevailing wind by a tall, thick hedge. I only had a few concrete slabs on the 3 feet diameter iron base (too heavy to lift on its own and it still blew over in a gust from a summer shower.

Monty

It sounds as if you need a bigger (125cm?) dish if the Beeb channels are marginal. As soon as you get heavy cloud or rain you might lose them completely.

26. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139

Indeed Simon, its not!

There are many things that are better here - even with my limited experience of Germany. For one, I wake up every day and wonder if my 998 is still safe in the UK, in a garage, with an immobiliser, cemented into the ground.... here people leave bikes out on the road without even an alarm!

But, back on subject, I simply replaced my landlady's 80cm dish with 100cm, got some dude round and told him i need astra 28... thanks to these guys in this thread, it seemed like i knew what I was talking about! hehehe.