1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to Canada - need AV help

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by adgeman, May 23, 2004.

1. adgeman

adgeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've just accepted a job in Vancouver so will be moving there in a few weeks.

Two months ago I bought a Sony KV28FX68U TV to go with my Sony RDR-GX3 DVD Recorder and the Sony HTK250 DTS System. These work fantastically together but I'm wondering if they will work in Canada or if I'm better off trying to sell them and spending the money on a new setup when I get to Canada? (I figure I should be able to get a decent price for them as the TV has a five year John Lewis guarantee and the DVD is multiregion - anyone interested? ;)

I've got about 200 DVDs with the R1/R2 split about 50/50.

If anyone can help or offer advice I'd really appreciate as I'm in a real quandry as to what to do with the setup.

Thanks for reading.

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    adgeman,

There are so many differences between the UK and North American systems (not forgetting the mains supply) that selling your gear in this country and buying new in Canada is probably the best bet.

The saving on transport costs would probably be significant.

Obviously keep the DVD collection, provided you get a multiregion player over there.

Good luck with your new job.

We had a wonderful holiday in British Columbia a few years ago. The scenery is breathtaking, although it does seem to rain an awful lot in Vancouver!

3. adgeman

adgeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help. I've taken your advice and now have sold the TV however it's just struck me that I'm going to have a problem watching my R2 DVD and Pal videogames. Is this correct? Are multi-standard TV's quite rare in Canada - anyone any idea?

And will I need to buy a UK DVD player to play the R2 discs as I'm assuming a Canadian DVD player won't be able to cope with the PAL signal.

Any help very greatfully received.

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    adgeman,

Sorry I can't help directly with your further queries.

Assuming you'll still have friends/relatives in the UK, you could see what's available in Canada and then, if you're really stuck, get them to send over any necessary gear.

5. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know, multi-standard tv's aren't very common in the US, so I would imagine the situation in Canada would be very similar.

I do know that Loewe's American range of tv's from a couple of years ago, while only capable of NTSC out of the box, had an option in the service menu that activated PAL / NTSC compatibility. Hopefully the current range still has this option.

Loewe dealers in the US and Canada are (supposedly) quite well informed on the Loewe range, so I would imagine it wouldn't be too difficult for a decent dealer to find out if this was still the case, and activate the PAL option for you prior to you buying it, especially if a sale depended on it. I know that in a copy of an old service manual for a Loewe set I looked at a while ago, there were instructions for the dealer on how to do this.