Moving to Australia

Goomba

Hi guys

A friend of mine is moving to Australia in a few weeks and isn’t sure about his xbox/ps2/PC

Is it just a simple case of buying a plug converter? I think they have 2 pins plugs.
Or will he need to buy a brand new console etc?

Also when he buys new Australian games/dvd’s will they play on his UK system or will he need to order them from the UK?

Thanks a lot for any help you can give.
:smashin:

D

Deleted member 63580

I can say OZ is the same voltage as us so just a converter plug needed.

any DVD's they buy out there are a different region so won't work, unless xbox/ps2 have been modded for region free

Pc and games will be fine

As for console games I don't know

ProphetRNG

Your games will be fine as OZ is pal same with DVD's as they are pal region 2/4

Monopot

As everyone said above. Also make sure if he has an HDTV that is supports PAL II as this is the Oz format. If not he will need to get a freeview box or similar over there otherwise you'll just get a picture and no sound.

Out of interest where is he moving to in Oz? I'm currently going through the Visa process so that hopefully in 12 months I'll be outta here and living in Brisbane! :D

Goomba

Thanks for all the help guys really appreciated!

He's moving to Sydney - hopefully around July time.

Are you moving on a sponsored visa with a new company or are you applying for a job once your out there?

I love Australia.

Monopot

Looking to do the Skilled Migrant Visa so I'd get permanent residence before I go over and then find a job.

Never been to Oz before so will be interesting. Can't be worse than the UK :) <touch wood>

C

can128

Thanks for all the help guys really appreciated!

He's moving to Sydney - hopefully around July time.

Are you moving on a sponsored visa with a new company or are you applying for a job once your out there?

I love Australia.

Looking to do the Skilled Migrant Visa so I'd get permanent residence before I go over and then find a job.

Never been to Oz before so will be interesting. Can't be worse than the UK :) <touch wood>

Hi guys, I'm flying out to melbourne 6 weeks tomorrow!!! I can't wait:thumbsup: ....my Gfriend is an ozzy!! and she wants to go home, so I thought F*** it I'm going with her!!! my 360 won't be doing the journey with me :( , but I plan to replace it when I arrive, I might even hang off until the Elite is released there....but dont know if I can wait that long...

stu1wyatt

I went to Oz on holiday in Melbourne recently, saw the f1 Gran prix and everything , really contemplating immigrating out there at present in a couple of years.

Games are dam expensive though ;o))

I work in IT security so I should get fairly easy entry given the demand out there. :thumbsup:

Monopot

I work in IT security so I should get fairly easy entry given the demand out there. :thumbsup:

I work in IT Support and like you there is massive demand for IT skills out there, although finding jobs is quite hard.

Only bit I'm struggling with is that the skilled migrant visa only recognizes full certifications such as MCSE, CCNA and not MCP. I haven't got the time to get the full MCSE so I have to do a RPL which means references from your boss and project plans to show you work.

Lot of work but should be worth it.

Good luck mate!

Captain Beaky

good thread! i applied for my visa last year and had it granted in september (woo hooooo!). doing our house up now to sell and hopefully be living in melbourne (st kilda for anyone interested) in a couple of months! very excited!

C

can128

I went to Oz on holiday in Melbourne recently, saw the f1 Gran prix and everything , really contemplating immigrating out there at present in a couple of years.

Hi ,we went to the grand prix in melbourne in 2005!! it was fantastic , albert park is a great track , I like the fact they let you on the inside of the circuit!! with it being the first of the season its always a great grand prix.. not sure i'd wanna live near there that time of year though!!:eek:

good thread! i applied for my visa last year and had it granted in september (woo hooooo!). doing our house up now to sell and hopefully be living in melbourne (st kilda for anyone interested) in a couple of months! very excited!

St kilda is a great area , very lively!! I hope you get the house sold quickly , It took us 4 months , it was quite painful waiting for some bast**d to buy it! but we got there in the end.... we are heading to the east suburbs to stay with gfriends parents , until we get organised and find a place....best of luck captain , if I add you to my friends list at least I will have someone to play live with when you get there!!!:D

Monopot

What visa did you get? We are saving at the mo as we need a bit more money before we apply but hopefully in the next few months.

Had you been to Oz before then or is this the 1st time like us?

AVF Jazzy Geoff

Me and the missus are contemplating going out there next year on a working visa, just getting the ball rolling so havent to many details at mo, but very exciting, our girls havent started school yet so its a great time to go. Ive got a good company who deal with visa apps, job placements etc but cant find it at mo, will post their web details when it turns up, may be useful to you guys for a bit of info

G'day mates!!

:D

Monopot

Me and the missus are contemplating going out there next year on a working visa, just getting the ball rolling so havent to many details at mo, but very exciting, our girls havent started school yet so its a great time to go. Ive got a good company who deal with visa apps, job placements etc but cant find it at mo, will post their web details when it turns up, may be useful to you guys for a bit of info

G'day mates!!

:D

That'll be awesome thanks. Hope it all works out for you.

Captain Beaky

What visa did you get? We are saving at the mo as we need a bit more money before we apply but hopefully in the next few months.

Had you been to Oz before then or is this the 1st time like us?

skilled independant visa. basically, through my degree and having a top score job. took about 7 months from start to finish which isnt bad considering how long some others have waited. went to oz a few years back to sydney, melbourne and barrier reef. liked melbourne a lot more than sydeny so gonna give it a spin!

D

Deleted member 63580

Hi guys, I'm flying out to melbourne 6 weeks tomorrow!!! I can't wait:thumbsup: ....my Gfriend is an ozzy!! and she wants to go home, so I thought F*** it I'm going with her!!! my 360 won't be doing the journey with me :( , but I plan to replace it when I arrive, I might even hang off until the Elite is released there....but dont know if I can wait that long...

Same as me, you can get a "married persons" visa just from living together for a year or something before you even go to OZ, if you live like man and wife thats good enough for them :)

Hopefully moving to Brisbane area in just under a year :)

I think it will take a while to get used to Aussie life style, things move much slower out there, spent 8 weeks out there a year or so ago, and life is much slower paced.

Goomba

As I mentioned earlier my best mate is moving out there is a few weeks which got me and my partner looking into it as well.

I work in recruitment so it seems the best way for me is to get a sponsored working visa and take things from there. Already had a couple of initial interviews and things have gone well. Bit weird waking up at 6.30 to put on a tie and sit in front of a web cam for a job interview…

Overall process takes about 6 months I think for reading around at similar things.

I lived in Sydney for 6 months a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it but would also consider Melbourne as I’ve heard that’s also an amazing place.

Fingers crossed for everyone!

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom