moving to android

djcla

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking of switching to an s3 from iPhone4 but had a question. is it possible to open the camera from the lock screen without using a pass key as I have not worked this out on the desire s I've tried?

Hey,

For the S3 you can have it set where there is four apps in the lock screen.

So yeah you can have camera in lock screen

There's a second way to open the camera directly from the lock screen: -

1. Press the power button to turn the screen on.
2. Place a finger on the screen.
3. Turn the phone sideways as if you were going to take a photo.
4. Take your finger off the screen.

The phone then unlocks straight into the camera.

You can turn that feature on and off, but it's another way to do it if you don't want to use one of the 4 lock screen app shortcuts up on the camera.

Otherwise, as TsaraBomba said, you can have up to 4 app shortcuts on your lock screen and if you swipe one of those, it will unlock the phone straight into the app.

Ok but when I've tried this on my desire it prompts for.my security code which is what I want to avoid?

Hey,

For the S3 you can have it set where there is four apps in the lock screen.

So yeah you can have camera in lock screen

I don't think this is true, I've just been trying it out.

If you apply a pattern or pin lock the shortcuts don't appear on the lockscreen.

Crafty said:
I don't think this is true, I've just been trying it out.

If you apply a pattern or pin lock the shortcuts don't appear on the lockscreen.

Go to security, screen lock options and then shortcuts.

Screen lock options is disabled once you've set a pattern or PIN.

ETA: Ah ok I got it.

You set a pattern or PIN, then you need to tick the "with swipe lock" option.

This gets the shortcuts on the lockscreen.

But it does mean when you want to unlock the phone you need to swipe and then enter pattern or PIN to open the phone.

Last edited:

But it does mean when you want to unlock the phone you need to swipe and then enter pattern or PIN to open the phone.

so is it not possible to achieve this and bypass the pin lock similar to that on the iphone?

djcla said:
so is it not possible to achieve this and bypass the pin lock similar to that on the iphone?

With touchwiz 4 launcher on the s3 and sense 4 on HTC it IS possible to launch the camera app without entering your pattern or pin.

Can you control music playing when the s3 is locked like you can on iphone?

Cool. There's only do much playing you can do when you're in a shop you always forget things!

limegreenzx said:
With touchwiz 4 launcher on the s3 and sense 4 on HTC it IS possible to launch the camera app without entering your pattern or pin.

I cant figure out a way to do this on the galacy s3?

I don't think you can. If you enable the swipe screen as well as a pin or pattern you can flick the camera icon up to start it, but this takes you to the pattern or pin screen - once entered it'll launch the camera app right away.

To be honest a pattern or pin is pretty useless if the phone did allow access to any app without entering pattern/pin.

Crafty said:
I don't think you can. If you enable the swipe screen as well as a pin or pattern you can flick the camera icon up to start it, but this takes you to the pattern or pin screen - once entered it'll launch the camera app right away.

To be honest a pattern or pin is pretty useless if the phone did allow access to any app without entering pattern/pin.

Works well on the iphone as you cant access anything other than the camera

Right, but camera app on S3 here gives access to the gallery, dropbox, even the contacts list (by allowing a picture to be set as the contact picture).

It could be changed so the camera app doesn't give access to the gallery if its bypassed the lockscreen, but we're getting a bit complicated now :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom