Moving to a slower broadband area

Beany31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all

May be moving from an area with 80mb internet to potentially 30mb which is the fastest fibre available looking online

What options are there to try and get near to 80
Again. Virgin isn’t available and FTTP I doubt will
Come to that address any time soon. Is there a way to negotiate or have faster internet put in? It’s on the outskirts of town so a bit away from the exchange which is a shame.

I guess the answer is wait for upgrades to the area but impatient for that especially due to
Working from
Home reliance

Thanks

Openreach do offer FTTP On Demand but as you'd expect the costs of a one-off infrastructure project to your house are high - typically running to thousands or tens of thousands of pounds.

You might be able to justify it for work purposes, but as you're getting a reasonable 30Mbps it's unlikely to be viable for home use.

There's also other business options like dedicated leased lines but they have high ongoing costs as well.

Beyond that you'd need to look at local FTTP and potentially FWA providers. ISPReview has some good lists of such ISPs, although the providers haven't banded together and formed a combined map or coverage checker yet as far as I'm aware.

There are various financial support schemes for community projects if you feel like organising your neighbours but again with a decent connection already that might be tricky to do.

The FTTP rollout is gathering speed. While the governments ludicrous gigabit for everyone by 2025 target is unlikely to be met (they've only allocated about a sixth of the required funding) BT are expecting their commercial rollout to hit about 50% by that time. It might be worth checking when your local exchange was upgraded to FTTC. If it was one of the earlier ones then it may be a profitable area and get FTTP in the next couple of years.

Yeah see what you’re saying 30 is okay. But for 4K streaming etc and gaming on more than one console it’s not gonna be fast enough. Cost is okay but don’t wanna get in to silly money figures.

Not sure what the situation would be there’. Looking online it says max 30mb, what would a second line do the first can’t ? (Just curious as I don’t know but open for ideas)

4G is ok, but looks like data caps on most and tbh I’m
Sure it’s inconsistent

Thanks very valuable. Not sure how practical that would be based on providers limiting it. For example BT

Just seems silly that being 2km from an exchange goes to 25-30mb and options being limited

The likes of BT residential or sky or TalkTalk won't offer you vdsl bonding, that's for sure. It will be the smaller/niche ISPs such as AAISP who offer such services and they ain't cheap either.

Otherwise you need to re-consider moving to that particular area - if high broadband speed is a must then move elsewhere.

The likes of BT residential or sky or TalkTalk won't offer you vdsl bonding, that's for sure. It will be the smaller/niche ISPs such as AAISP who offer such services and they ain't cheap either.

Otherwise you need to re-consider moving to that particular area - if high broadband speed is a must then move elsewhere.
Yeah appreciate that, as it’s a medieval city the infrastructure is poor unless you’re on the side of the university or city centre. A bit further out and it’s 10-30 which is insane for a city. Will look at dish options as well

Forget satellite broadband if you're gaming. The pings on a signal transmitted more than 32,000 miles from geostationary orbit are as high as you'd expect.

Playing online games requires hardly any bandwidth, outside of downloading games and patches.

Forget satellite broadband if you're gaming. The pings on a signal transmitted more than 32,000 miles from geostationary orbit are as high as you'd expect.

Playing online games requires hardly any bandwidth, outside of downloading games and patches.
Yeah think I should call bt and get an accurate idea of what I can get and see what options will be

There are a number of things you can do. First of all I would do the easy parts and make certain your own wiring is correct.

We receive about 27 but having sorted out our wiring we now get about 42. A significant gain and it wasn’t that hard. I replaced the master socket for the latest version. I redid the extension wiring from our alarm and moved it to where an extension should be (that is not directly on the main cable). And as we use DECT for as long as I remember I just disconnected any other extensions.

I’ve also received a quote for FTTP on demand. I could stomach the installation costs; but what I couldn’t stomach was the companies playing in that market adding like a 4x markup to the Openreach prices for the subscription part.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom