Moving to a new place, need advice for a 5.0 upgrade

ammar

Standard Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Denon X2700, Monitor Audio MR 6, MR Center and MR2 with a SVS PB1000 sub. I'm moving to a new place where I'll setup the system in my living room, so a much more open place compared to my bedroom where my current system is. Please note that since I don't live in the US/UK, my options are only what I'm about to mention. Also, I cannot audition the system before buying. My primary use is movies.

Here are my options:
Monitor Audio Bronze 500 (with center and surrounds)
Dali Spektor 6 (with center and surrounds)
Golderear Triton 7, super center x and super sat 3
Monitor Audio 300 (with center and surrounds)

Currency isn't the US $, so for reference, I'll say the MA 300 is for $1000, Dali is for $1400, Golden Ear is $1700 and MA Bronze is $2500

What are you after with the upgrade? :) The current speakers you have MR6 based are made for larger rooms. Perhaps you are just looking for change due to owning them long time or not happy with the sound? The latest Bronze 6G range should sound slightly better as being 11yr newer design and higher range with better cabinet structure/drivers and crossover parts, but i wouldn`t wait dramatic night and day difference though as you should ideally be moving to Silver range straight for more clear upgrade as it`s often the sweet spot for most folks if you compare the price from Bronze to Silver to Golds. The Spektor serie is same level to MR with even smaller centre so i would pass it. From Dali the Oberon range would been more similar level to Bronzes, but it´s not on your list probably due to higher pricing. Oberon 5 or 7, Vokal and 1s for surround l/r. Bright, open wide soundstage and airy sound (at least to my ears). Very different to Monitor Audio.

From those options i would be most intrested of the Goldenear 7 based system by the spacious and smooth non fatiguing sound listed in the Audioholics review and few others seem to like them aswell with the ability to fill larger rooms. The ribbon tweeters are likely to sound quite different what you have used to. It`s very tricky to buy without listening though as what someone likes might not apply to you or if you put too big expectations. Do they have return period if you don`t like what you buy blind?

I might also consider another SVS PB1000 (used) at some point, but with the X2700H receiver it means you would place them example front or rear corners (equidistant to main listening position). Will that give you smoothest bass response in your room vs. where you sit, i don´t know but definitely more room filling bass with no localization and more headroom. If you go with MA Bronze range which has more familiar sound signature then i would rather consider Bronze 100 6G + cheap 60cm tall stands for front mains (50s ok for surround) and adding another PB1000 as you aren´t running the towers (500) full range with main use being home theater. Sure the 500s look better, but adding another sub would make more difference overall.

Thoughts?

What are you after with the upgrade? :) The current speakers you have MR6 based are made for larger rooms. Perhaps you are just looking for change due to owning them long time or not happy with the sound? The latest Bronze 6G range should sound slightly better as being 11yr newer design and higher range with better cabinet structure/drivers and crossover parts, but i wouldn`t wait dramatic night and day difference though as you should ideally be moving to Silver range straight for more clear upgrade as it`s often the sweet spot for most folks if you compare the price from Bronze to Silver to Golds. The Spektor serie is same level to MR with even smaller centre so i would pass it. From Dali the Oberon range would been more similar level to Bronzes, but it´s not on your list probably due to higher pricing. Oberon 5 or 7, Vokal and 1s for surround l/r. Bright, open wide soundstage and airy sound (at least to my ears). Very different to Monitor Audio.

From those options i would be most intrested of the Goldenear 7 based system by the spacious and smooth non fatiguing sound listed in the Audioholics review and few others seem to like them aswell with the ability to fill larger room too. The ribbon tweeters are likely to sound quite different what you have used to. It`s very tricky to buy without listening though as what someone likes might not apply to you. Do they have return period if you don`t like what you buy blind?

I might also consider another SVS PB1000 (used) at some point, but with the X2700H receiver it means you would place them example front or rear corners (equidistant to main listening position). Will that give you smoothest bass response in your room vs. where you sit, i don´t know but definitely more room filling bass with no localization and more headroom. If you go with MA Bronze range which has more familiar sound signature then i would rather consider Bronze 100 6G + cheap 60cm tall stands for front mains (50s ok for surround) and adding another PB1000 as you aren´t running the towers full range.

Thoughts?
The MRs were the first pair of 'real speakers' I've ever had. I got these 6 years ago and I use them in my bedroom. The place I'm moving to is significantly bigger so I wasn't sure if these would really cut it when you crank the volume up high.

The MRs were the first pair of 'real speakers' I've ever had. I got these 6 years ago and I use them in my bedroom. The place I'm moving to is significantly bigger so I wasn't sure if these would really cut it when you crank the volume up high.

Yes they should fill it the same way as others in your list if they are the models linked below! After you run have run Audussey setup set all speaker sizes as Small and speaker crossovers ~80hz in the Denon, normally the automatic setup sets them like 40-60hz which you want to bump up to at least 80hz. For SVS PB1000 before setup: low pass filter knob to LFE, phase 0, volume/gain to 12clock at least, possibly higher but we can check this later and i explain it more detailed then. Place the subwoofer in front corner (away from openings) if you want to maximize the performance as it`s large room, you get some free output from the boundaries. SVS like most subwoofer manufacturers recommend to start with corners if you have sub eq present and you do with the Denon.

So if you like the sound of MRs and there is nothing wrong other than panicking about the loudness then move in the new house first and see how you get on with them placed and setup optimally! I would say there is big possibility that they sound much better in larger room if you give them more space (away from walls) over the small bedroom. For the MR6s and MR2s try leaving ~30cm space behind the speakers if possible and toe in (angle) them toward listeners slightly. If you sit 3-4meters away try to push the front mains more than 2 meters apart as many places the main speakers each side of tv basically squeezing three speakers very close together. So play with this too. For center channel i would say wall mount your tv and place the centre as close to seated ear as possible and don´t hide it inside av-unit, rather put it on top and front edge of it! You can angle the front shooting upwards if required toward ears if too low still. Put two rubbery door stoppers on each side, known as wedges too which has angle. Cost pocket money.

Specktors and Bronze are only a sideways or slight improvement at best.

I would try your current speakers first before buying anything.

MA silvers would benefit from a better avr.

You should consider another sub or upgrade the sub to another one or two if it's a significantly bigger space.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom